clparker50 Asked July 2012

Is there a place where you can take an elder for bathing?

The tub in my Mother's apartment is too high for her to get into, and washing up is sometimes not enough.

17

Answers

cctt1 Aug 2012
As anyone considered using a bath lift to enable safe tranfers in/ out of the bath.

I had the same problem after an injury though I am not elderly and with having tended to two elderly relatives, they too had the same problem. This is easy to fix. There is this product that is literally a step you can step on to help you get in the tub and to get out. I got them at Wal-mart. They hold up to 350 pounds and are very sturdy. Put one outside and one inside the tub (remove the inside one while showering or bathing then return it to get out) . Just visit www.walmart.com and look for bath aids or type in bath steps. They also sell some cool bath benches and everything can be shipped to you!

LindaGS Aug 2012
On this topic. I had two drains installed in the bathroom floor. I put tile across the floor of our bathroom and better edging. I can actually shower her with the wand while she sits out of the tub in a chair. I also installed a bidet toilet to clean her bottom well. Now obviously it is a slipper mess when we are done, but the water goes down the drain. I mop up with the dirty clothes and the damp towel. It isn't too bad, and won't require a re-do remodel when she is gone.

do a search on the internet for portable showers for elderly . I'd like to know if anyone actually bought one of these and they worked.

Jam Jul 2012
FYI: A goodly number of elderly become hydrophobic as they age. I have yet to find someone who can give me a definitive reason. Is it fear of falling? Maybe a fear of being stuck in the tub and no one to help them out? Perhaps it's the lessening of the olfactory senses.....maybe they forget the importance of hygiene along with some of the other things they have forgotten how to do. This is just something to keep in mind when your loved one looks at you as though you have grown horns on your head when you say "bath time"!

tlhanger Jul 2012
We have a wonderfful 2 headed shower with a large bench. But mom, 92, just doesn't want to bathe anymore. She takes sponge baths in her bathroom. But once a week I get her in the shower, she sure isn't happy. But once she starts washing she is great. I then step in and help her with her hair, but she hates me to rinse it. She will not tip her head back, insists on leaning it forward. I am always glad when it is all over. I have her clothes all ready for her when she gets out. If I don't put the dirty ones in the washer and start it, she wants to wear the same clothes. I am getting the hang of it and all the nasty things she spews, but just keep on doing the right thing and in a short time she is okay.

Kitty Jul 2012
There are shower chairs that probably do what you are looking for and maybe you need an occupational/physical therapist to come in a evalutate your mom's needs and prescript the equipment needed. If your mother loves the water so much rather than just the need to bathe, then I would suggest going to a pool and letting her have some enjoyment in water that way. Pools are required now to have a lift if there are mobility problems. Best to you and your mom.

Whay about maybe suggesting a bed bath ...plus depending on your area there are organizations thY hhave mobile bath aids that are pros with help the elderly in this area good luck and god bless

Kimbee Jul 2012
Great bath chairs exist that swivel in n out of tub and raise up n down inside the tub. Not too cheap, but look pretty neat. Transfer benches r less expensive. Glad ur mom wants to take a shower! My mom was a daily bather all of her adult life-now she tries to claim she only bathed once a week! NOT!

Darcy123 Jul 2012
I would check with local nursing homes. I know the ones here also do daycare and would probably be willing to assist. They have whirl pool tubs and showers that make the job SOOO much easier!!