A phone sweepstakes fraud is harassing my dad with calls. How can we get them to stop?

Has anyone had a run in with phone/sweepstakes fraud? They are harassing my dad with calls. How can we get them to stop? I know, "Don't answer the phone." But these guys are relentless and calling up to five times a day. Around 10 pm this evening it was one right after the other. When I said he needs to stop calling he said F-you.
Started with sweepstakes in the mail. " You qualify for $X. Send us $X and you can win more." He did. He sent $9 here and $30 there. He usually overdraws his account monthly. If these people aren't calling then they sold his name to a group of Jamaicans who are ruthless. And obviously rude. We've talked with my dad and he says he won't do it again but then he does. Any suggestions???

34

Answers

1 2 3 4
BTW, if any of you are trying to look it up Hedgie mis-typed, the proper acronym is nomorobo.

I was told that phone service will not block any toll free or 800 type numbers, which is kind of silly since those are the ones that are the scams. In my state, people are urged to call the Attorney General or to file a complaint with the postal service if it is through the mail.

Also want to add that I can block calls on my phone by adding unwanted numbers to Call Block list. If they call it rings once then disconnects call..

Go to the website for NOROMBA (stands for no more robo calls) and see if it would work for you. We have seen a drop off in these kinds of calls. Unfortunately, it doesn't get rid of all of them. Good luck.

When I got POA for my friends, I began to monitor their checking account and noticed several checks made out to magazine companies. When I had their address changed to my address when they went into AL Memory care, I noticed these "renewal" bills coming for the magazines. When I checked the labels on the magazines and noted for how many years ahead he had subscribed, I wrote to the magazines and asked to lower that to just a couple of years instead of 9 years and they eventually sent me refund checks. It wasn't the magazines doing this but magazine "billing companies." I also alerted out state attorney general about the renewal cards made to look like bills due and she has gone after these companies. Their response is to change the company name and address and continue on, but now since my friends' mail comes to me, I catch those. Fortunately when I intercepted a phone call to them and explained who I was and that they had to talk to me instead of them, the calls stopped. When my friends went to AL, I had the phone account closed. Closing your dad's regular phone line might be smart. Have a cell phone where you buy the minutes as needed for him to use to make calls. So far, scammers haven't found our number for our cell phone. Buying the minutes means no monthly expenses for services we don't use. Only those who legitimately need to phone your dad get the new number to use.

we have had to change my dad's phone number and then get the phone company to put your dad on as unlisted, and or a do not call list...which did not work for us, but the unlisted number worked

My dad is going through this with foreign scammers. The only way we are slowly beating them is to block the calls. We are doing this by transferring his landline to an internet line and keeping the number. The phone works the same but it gives him a webpage to access to block all the numbers or area codes he needs to. The company is called Ooma. Without them, our only option would be to change his number. Good luck! I feel your pain, believe me.

bmltjjbjs8,

Check out our fraud and scams section to find other suggestions on how to stop your parent from sweepstakes abuse.

Quick Guide to Frauds & Scams
https://www.agingcare.com/Frauds-Scams

You can also try contacting these companies directly to have them take you of their mailing list. Or maybe the post office?

Karie H.

I am desperately trying to stop all the junk mail which my father receives. He has been sending money for several years to different sweepstakes as a processing fee. We did not learn about it until last year. It had gotten so bad that friends were calling us and telling us that he was sending large amounts of money over seas believing that he had won millions. I am making a log of all the addresses and want to turn them into the authorities. The FBI said that they can not do anything to help. I will try the Dist Attorn and State Att. What else do you suggest?

My Father has also been getting from 2 to 5 phone calls per day telling him that he has won a big prize and he just needs to send $XXX to them for some sort of fees, taxes, insurance or whatever else they think of. They want him to send it Western Union, Money Gram, or even to go to the local drug store and purchase a MoneyPak card. The calls are coming from out of the country on internet based lines that show either Las Vegas or Washington DC prefixes but they are coming from out of the country so the crooks have no fear of being caught. They are vicious and do not stop. I had his phone number changed and it helped for a while but then he answered another mail scam piece and provided his new number and we are back on the crazy train again. I have a new strategy - on the days when I am at his house I answer the phone and if it is a scam call I use the Fox 40 whistle that I used as a soccer ref. I blow it as loud as possible into the phone for them until they hang up. That thing is loud and shrill and it hurts their ears. Often they call back to swear at me in several different languages so they get more whistle. The calls are reduced in number and I hope they need hearing aids!!!!
There are two good whistles for this - The Fox 40 and the Tornado. Both are available at a good soccer shop or on line. Neither has a pea in it and they are so shrill and loud that you can stand 100 yards from a player and he will hear it.

Good Luck and Good Whistling

Norm

1 2 3 4