Can a nursing home put a person out on the streets, with behavior problems, if no facility will take them?

Asked by

my mother is being discharged soon for disobeying nursing home rules due to behavior problems, can they put her on the streets if no facility will take her

Answers 1 to 8 of 8
I am having the same problem with my father, very bad behavior. I can't handle his health problems at home. I was told they would try to transfer him if it gets too bad. Don't see how that solves the problem.
A few years back, my husband and I hired a wonderful Health Care Advocate who has the powers to do great miracles for my elderly mother. If you are interested in finding out what can and can't be done to help you in this matter, I would highly recommend you contact her at Please tell Hari that Eva Lynn Pearl referred you to her. She charges a small start up fee but she is well worth more than what she is paid. Hari is a wonderful and outstanding person and professional who will be happy to help you. I hope this information helps you. I wish you the best of luck.
Top Answer
In my experience, 25 yr in EMS, I found that when a patient would get out of control, the NH would call to have them transferred to the local hospital because they just didn't want to deal with them. And would they get mad when nothing physical was found and the patient was sent right back! Most times the NH will call for orders for something to sedate the patient with.....they don't want their "apple cart" upset. The ratio of care giver to patient is horrendous and if there is one or two that need to be controlled it takes away from the whole, so they don't want that. If there is a facility nearby that deals with behavioral hospital has a Behavioral Unit.....then that is what I would look into. Your parents' behavior may be regulated with medication, making them much more compliant with the NH, and making everyone happy. Ask the NH what you can assist with and ask them for their recommendations that will allow your parent to stay with them. They have every right to decide who stays and who doesn't. I hope this helps a little.
There are State rules that must be followed. I know in Indiana the facility must give you thirty days and MUST try to locate another facility for you. I would contact your local Area on Aging and request help from an advocate or help to find you a local advocate. You can also contact you State Omnibudisman (sp). They are a free advocate to make sure the facilities are following the rules and should help you with this issue. Sounds like your mother need medical attention and no kicked out of the facility.
I would look over your contract that you made with your facility and adhere to what it says. Our CA contract says that 30 day notice is given if there is a problem and they will do all possible to assure that my mother has a place to stay. I thought Bridget's advice was excellent.
The article on finding & using a health care advocate
So sorry to hear. We put my Mom on depakote when her behavior started and its a miracle. At first they sleep alot but after a few weeks they dont, and they are calm without being sedated. Daycares give 2 week notices and usually once on the medication they keep them, its managable. Your Mom doesnt want to be aggitated any more than you want her to be so get to a good neurologist and if you like the NH she is in, talk to them about giving you time to adjust her meds. Change is not good for dementia patients especially. In reality inside she is confused, angry, sad and scared . She needs lots of reassurance and medication help, good luck.
my sister have dementia and she in a NH, They call to tell me that my sister have to leave the facility because she got out of the building and she have a alarm(wan-guard) on her wrist, Medicaid is paying the Bills for her. By State Of Michigan Law can they put her out? my sister is happy there and she like the place and the nurses

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support