My mother has recently been diagnosed with dementia and I think my sisters are stealing her money. Is there anything I can do?

Asked by
Answers 1 to 10 of 10
Expert Answer
3930 helpful answers
Does anyone in your family have a Power Of Attorney? That's important. If one of your sisters does, she may just be paying things for your mother, though there should be accountablity.

If you really suspect stealing, you could first ask if there can be a family accounting "for everyone's protection, as Medicaid will want that should she need to go on Medicaid" (true).

If you want to challenge it further, you'll likely need an elder law attorney.
Good luck. This is very difficult for you and, if it's not the case, then difficult to "fix" broken relationships. So, try to figure out if your suspicions are really valid before you move forward.
Our younger sister convinced our Mom to give her POA and healthcare POA even though she(our sister) declared bankruptcy and has gotten money from Mom several times, one time $10000, no NOT loans. In the draft for the legal papers, Mom WAIVED her rights for the POA to have to submit reports legally nor to anyone. THIS CLAUSE SHOULD BE OUTLAWED because it is the 'trusting' parent who would NEVER believe their loving child would take advantage of them that enables elder fraud of a parent.

So legally my older sister and I are at the mercy of our sister in regards to information, and can only pray she doesn't start transferring funds to her own personal accounts.

She used to send us copies of the bank statements until we had a disagreement and she cut off communication with us. We told her we didn't trust her after she accused US of wanting to 'help Mom' for the 'money'. Sounds like truth was too close to a nerve.

not sure what we can do.... Mom totally believes whatever our younger sister tells her.
It seems to be a recurring theme that people are afraid to stand up against family members who are, or at least may be, robbing them blind. You don't want to believe it, you don't want to "tear the family apart", but if criminal acts have been committed then it is already torn apart. There is a need to be objective and be reasonably sure of what is going on before making the call to police, APS, or both, but blustering tempers and accusations folllowed by withdrawal of contact and information could be a strong sign that there is something bad being covered up. Or, that same behavior could be a response to unfounded accusations that are perceived as deliberately hurtful.

I'm not saying this is easy, and I found it painful to consider that possibility in relatively minor thefts in my own family. I got the evidence I could and put a stop to what I could, and relationships were kept more or less intact. But a great deal more than petty cash or gas card abuse is at stake here. It hurts, but it's going to hurt more later on if you turn a blind eye when you have a choice to take action.
What can you do if your sister open a checking account naming herself as co owner of said account making it legal to take money from this bank account, put it in a cd with her being co owner of the account. My mother has dementia and she now deny that the account belong to my mother that it is her account that she named my mother on the account but I found where $3,000. was taken out of my mother's account and put in the cd account. I don't want to tear this family apart and cause my mother or myself any more hardship as I am her caregiver and get hardly any support from my siblings, my hands are full. but my mom is on a fixed income and I know she will need what she has as time goes on. I was living in Georgia and had to quit my job and move to Alabama to take care of my mom. Alabama offers no financial assistance for family caregivers and what little income goes toward trying to keep my home in Georgia from going into foreclosure and squeeze in a few toiletries for myself. Taking care of my mother is a full time job and it is even more difficult with greedy siblings throwing in the mix.
i have an unemployed brother who never held a job more than 2 or 3 years at a time. He is 59 years old and never left home. When my parents reached retirement age I arranged them to get Oxford Insurance and we were very satisfied with that insurance for the last 15 years. Last year without consulting me my brother switched insurance basic Medicare and Blue Cross and Blue Shield. It just pays for basic care.
My mother just be diagnosis with Multile Myeloma. My brother refuses to allow me to look at their fiancances. He is making all the improper choices. The family has caught him lying to us about doctors, health care, and nursing and rehab. He also has isolated my father from speaking to my aunts, and my children. When he does speak to us it is a recording of my brother's lies. My father is 91 years old and is unable to care for himself. My mother and father look and dress as if they were homeless yet they own two houses over a million dollars each.
Is there anything we can do to check to see what my brother is doing. No one trust him and everyone in the family is suspicious. My aunts tell me to let it go. I am afraid of his medical and fiancial desicions and I don't believe he is acting in the best interest of my parents. What are my options to get power of attorney and guardianship?
Helpless, Does this brother have a POA on file with your parents as donors? If not, seek a POA for yourself.....with their permission...signatures required of course.
Did I read you correctly when you said that your parents own two homes valued at $1,000,000. each? Do your parents each have a will?... There's a lot at sake here. Seek legal representation, not just advice. You're going to need it.
Yes helpless, you need to see an elder care attorney ASAP. Your issues are far too complex for advice from us on this forum. You need professional help. Good luck!
once the person has passed on and the money is gone, probably not much- APS is not longer a possibility. Her POA ended at death, so you are now the one entitled to information about the current status of things, and if there is enough to go on, you could make a police report and/or confer with a lawyer. Sorry you are in this spot!
vstefans made some very good points. If you are not around a lot, not involved in the parent's finances, not involved in the caregiving, etc., keep in mind that you may have been specifically excluded by the parent rather than the sibling. False accusations can be extremely detrimental and damaging. If you suspect foul play, get your facts clear before making accusations or going to to the authorities.
Get POA and hide her money.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support