Hyundai350 Asked July 2012

Mother taking medication and I see she is overdosing. What can I do to stop her?

My mother is taking pills, one does not work she takes another . She sleeps during the day from the hangover of pills. Night she can not sleep she takes sleeping pills, one does not work takes a second, maybe a third. Then she take presone for pain. What should I do. Take her medication making believe she does not know where she put it? I am confuse. She illusioned and blames people of crazy ideas. Like someone putting flece all over toilet tissue and toilet. She did it. About 6 yrs. ago she thought someone came from 23 fl to her fl20 and went to the bathroom again all over fleces and she claims she was sprayed . It was her again. What to do?

18

Answers

Hyundai350 Dec 2012
I took over the medication and now she is not overdosing. Her problem is pain. Then when I not around she will take Presone , tynold and codine, I tell her u can not mix medication. She can not tolerate pain. She thinks it gout since hand swelled up. She has a bad case of arthritis all over her body. Reason for swelling on hand Drs. have no answers. By the way mother is 91 yrs. old.

JessieBelle Dec 2012
Update on my mother. She let me take total charge of her medications, including her lorazepam. I have to do things one pill session at a time. Taking charge of her medication has ended so many problems. She is rarely sick at her stomach now and is less confused. Pills used wrong can cause so much grief.

I bought a pill box that holds a week supply with compartments for morning, noon,
afternoon, bedtime. It stays on top of the refrigerator where she can't reach it. This works out well. Once a week, I fill the box from my typed list.

I think Mom might have some dementia problems and need to have someone who will come in to dispense pills once or twice a day and lock them up in between times.

Bayoubaby Aug 2012
My Mama took too much painkillers and then because she was kind of out of it from that medicine, she wound up taking too much Coumadin and had to be rushed to the hospital because her blood was so thin they thought she would bleed internally. I completely agree that her doctor needs to see her and she may have to go to a "rehabilitory facility" to regulate her medicine. I like the little dosing containers idea too. Good Luck!

moonchild Aug 2012
my mother uses kaiser for her medical and they just love to medicate her! or maybe the doctors do it just to get her out of their offices, lolz. she is a hypochondriac, if she has seen it on tv or read about it in a magazine, she has it.

my sister and i have tried to talk to her about the number of meds she is on for years, but to no avail. after the umpteenth fall, one last june where she broke her right ankle, and the very next month where she broke her left tibia, i finally got into her doctors face with 18 pages of probable/possible drug interactions with the 15 different medications they had her on. some where potentially fatal. the doctor agreed, with my mother very unhappy but also agreeing, to eliminate three drugs and titrate down a few others. Ambien was the first medication to go, along with two other central nervous system depressants. she took her off of another one the next month. within a few months she was steadier on her feet, all her shaking stopped, her speech was no longer slurred, and her thinking was somewhat clearer. the Ambien has still left her with permanent bizarre beliefs that my sister and i cannot convince her are wrong, so Incredibly wrong, after a whole year.

my mother is in a board and care home, so her medications are Tightly Controlled. this is really the only thing you can do for a drug addict, and that is what my mother is. just because someone is getting their legal medications from a doctor, does not mean they are not an addict. they might need those medications, but if they abuse them they are addicts.

Everyone here has given some great ideas, but the most important thing to read out of all of them is this, YOU have to be the one in control of the meds. yes, your mother will be incredibly angry with you, it's one of the signs of addiction, plus no one likes being out of control of their own life. if you are lucky, when she is well again, she might thank you, but don't really count on it. my mother did thank me when her shaking stopped and she could walk again. but she still thinks i'm a controlling btch, in gratitude she took back control of her bank accounts so i can't see that she is spending away all her money again. we're not speaking at this time, but she'll call me again when she wants help. my sister and my aunts think i am freaking amazing, LOL!

Do make an appointment for the both of you to speak with her doctor(s) together. When you tell the doctor(s) what is going on, do not sugar coat the truth even though you are speaking in front of your mother. Give it to them straight. No matter how much it will upset her, she needs to hear it. No one willingly changes unless they know how ugly their behavior is.

my personal belief is that Ambien is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE drug!!! it should definitely never be used in combination with other central nervous depressants!!! i also believe that it is much too strong to be used on elderly people. this is a hypnotic and hallucinogenic drug. Ambien is very difficult to come off of, people who have abused it may destroy sleep patterns for a very long time. my mother's doctor substituted trazadone for her, i agreed only because i knew of it having used it as an anti-depressant/sleep aid for fifteen years myself. there is no "high", so it's non-addictive. you just fall asleep within twenty minutes. it took my mother several months to come off the ambien, but she is sleeping well now. she did btch, moan, gripe, and complain for those four or five months. she did try to get her doctor to increase the trazadone, but since the doctor had a more complete knowledge of my mother from speaking with me a couple times, she refused.

JessieBelle Aug 2012
We must have the same mothers indeed. :) I noticed I just referred to them both as "she" without saying whose mother I was referring to. I hope you can figure it out. I do need to proofread before submitting!

JessieBelle Aug 2012
Hyundai, we must be sisters, because our mothers sound like the same person. She is diabetic, has high blood pressure, spinal stenosis, and an anxiety disorder. Her answer to feeling a little bad is to take another lorazepam. Sometimes she gets absolutely drunk. I tried to take control of her medicine a couple of times, but she became violent. I worked things a different way. She let me take charge of her diabetes and blood pressure medications, but she wants to keep them in sight. I put out the day's supply of these things in the living room where I can monitor them. But touching her lorazepam was off limits! After 50 years of diazepines, she is quite addicted. I noticed recently that she had taken 2-3X the usual dose of them, so I took them, cut them in half, and set them in the living room. Now at least she has to get up to come get one. Her usage has gone way down.

I don't worry so much about her Tylenol III. She doesn't misuse it. I flushed some old sleeping pills because I didn't want her taking one benzo on top of another. It is tough when our elders are drug addicts. My mother is nearly 86 and has dementia, so I don't really want her to go through detox. I just want her to not use her lorazepam the way she will if left to her own devices.

I've tried to convince her to get one the the boxes that will let her use her medicines only at certain times. She got angry and said that she would break it, because it didn't understand that sometimes she needed more. She said I had better not even bring it in the house or she would break it.

The semi-taking charge of her medicines has had good results. She used to make herself sick taking too much Metformin. That hasn't happened since I started our new method. She often double-dosed on blood pressure medicine. She denied all this, but I count, so I know. And she has dementia, along with tending to be a bit dishonest to start with. If she is not incompetent and will not work with you on the meds, try taking a more gentle control that makes her feel like she is still in charge. You may be able to come up with something that works in your situation. (I too worry about her being alone with her drugs.)

Hyundai350 Aug 2012
After taking the sleeping pill it did not work she took another one and beside that Tylenol with codine, Ambien, Predisone for pain. Hired aid who she is blaming that she put fleeces all over her bathroom. When I told her it was mom not the aid. She did not believe it. I would put a camera in to show her but she has no computer.When I mention anything to her the guilt comes out and she screams like she was mugged. My sister thinks her shit does not smell. She has control of my mothers estate. But my mom wont tell me I know all moms friend know. When I talk to my sister she protect her not me. I did call her drs. told them not to write sleeping pills for her. She takes the pills at nite so she can not lift her head in the daytime. She is overdose , Then nite she does the same thing. I took away medicine. But , she went crazy threw me out of the house. By the way when she wants to do something she does plays my sister one way like she is not sick. Me she is always sick.If u tell her u do this why not that she state has no strenght.She is alittle forgetful , but she knows what she is doing most of the time. I hate drs telling her at her age she could eat everything. She is a diabetic, asmatha, heart problems, knee operation, (where I tell her that was a burden for her ) when u have a knee replace u only have one good leg your balance is not the same.I live next complex from my mother. I could not take more than 20 mins. there we fight .

Tylenol

Tylenol

stevelo Jul 2012
I was using the typical pill box for my Mom. It turned out to be-more of a pill holder than a reminder. My Pharmacist told me about a new product., the MED-Q pillbox. It has the same type of daily containers but here's the difference. We set the times for her morning pills and her evening pills. At the programmed times, the individual box that she is suppose to take starts to flash. With the flash is a beeping alarm. The alarm keeps getting louder so she can't help but hear it. We have been using it for about three months now and she hasn't missed once. She used to double dose at least 4 or 5 time a month. Since using the Med-Q , she hasn't double dosed once. I wish I had this before for my father. It is one of those things that you wonder why they didn't invent years ago!.