Can a medical power of attorney restrict who visits a senior?

22

Answers

1 2 3
In this case, it is not the patient - it is angry POA who doesn't want to deal with reality. I hope I never have to go into a nursing home.

A nursing home, hospital or any caregiving facility will turn someone away if they are upsetting the patient. And that includes a POA. Their patient's welfare is their utmost concern.

There was a similar situation posted in the forum and part of the answer was to contact an ombudsman. We have used one to help with a nursing home problem with an aunt, so that would be the next step I would guess. We are dealing with a paranoid individual so we try to be cautious.

Families can squabble all they want, but a Nursing Home will not get involved in the dispute without a restraining order from a judge. If a person is turned away by a facility, they can go to court and ask for a Show Cause and then it gets really ugly and expensive.

There are family members who are jealous of other members because the person has bragged about how much help they have been, and there are families with hidden dysfunction where sometimes the unknowing relative trying to help gets caught in the middle. Also if you dare to question the care that a relative is getting, don't be surprised if the nursing home will find a way to keep you away from their patient also. There are some people in this world that are so mean that nothing they do surprises me. Sad but true.
Another really good reason to have a POA locally who actually visits the person who is being cared for. If you have your POA in another country or state, you need to think long and hard about who will REALLY be trying to help the elderly patient.

eldest, I am sorry as I did not read your post correctly. You are saying that you are being prevented from visiting as your brother sibling is blocking you. It is cruel when sibs do that to each other. I have the same problem with elderly parent not getting proper medical care, etc. It is worth filing in probate to get to visit with parent. Have evidence, make no false accusations and good luck.

Oh, you know they can restrict and they do. My sister has prevented our step sister from any contact.

alabamaspitfire, i love my mother! younger sib is a brother who is unmarried and has not worked any wage paying job for more than twelve years.

my mom is not getting proper medical care - she went off her meds, and has been alienated from me, from my youngest sibling and grandchildren. all the money from the sale of my parents home is gone (spent these last seven years). mom's rent is beyond her means. it's a nightmare.

where i live? i will have to file in probate court to get temp conservatorship.

Also watch out if your sibling is a sociopath. WINNING IS ALL – A sociopath has no conscience, no emotional attachment to others, and no ability to love. Life is reduced to a contest, and other human beings seem to be nothing more than game pieces, to be moved about, used as shields or ejected. So what does a sociopath want? A sociopath wants only to WIN.

In this case, taking control of an elderly parent becomes a WIN instead of actually caring about the parent's well being.

eldest, my evil sib is trying to declare elderly parent incompetent to take all the money, Parent is not incompetent. Sibling is just evil, filled with hate, no compassion, no heart.

1 2 3