How long do you bathe an elderly person?

How hot should the water be

19

Answers

Mom had actually purchased some foot kits from Avon (she had several as she would forget that she already had one!) They contain a product to mix with the water, a product that's kind of rough to slough off the dead skin cells, and then a moisturizer. They also have a file, but I don't use it. You could just use some warm soapy water, then purchase a "scrub" product to exfoliate, and then some moisturizer. We are lucky that mom can still stand and she lowers her head in the sink, I would never push her head down. Fortunately, Dad is usually able to get her hair washed when he bathes her. We also have used a shower bench and have a handheld shower.

Yes exactly, not on purpose of course but we guide their head down and it can be tricky . I only wanted to mention it so everyone will be super extra careful :)

Yes, that is scary! But you would not want to "push their head down". Ideally, they should lower their head themselves!!!!!!!! We would never advocate using a method that would end in injury. But that being said, sometimes those brittle bones, just give way. Not a pretty picture.

Can you believe as I read these I feel bad my Mom cannot walk anymore and get into the tub? I miss putting her on a shower chair and bathing her in the tub! My cna files my Moms toe and finger nails for me , I am lucky on that because she has big thick nails and they grow fast and atmy age seeing those close up is tough. When I bathed Mom in the shower I had her hold a washcloth and she felt secure. I wanted to share that I have a friends whos Mom broke her neck when putting her head back into the sink for a shampoo from a chair. Their bones are old and brittle so be aware please that pushing their head down or it not sitting on a soft surface can snap a bone. scary~!

Just came into my head! What I was going to post earlier. When my grandma had Alzeheimer's she would fight the bath. But my Mom soon realized that if she started running the bath water and she would hear it , then it was not a problem, since she realized what was going to happen. Otherwise she thought people were just trying to disrobe her clothing. It seems rather simple, but sometimes those simple things make care so much easier!

Is their a particular file or machine you use for the feet to get the dead cells off? I use a regular foot file n have been scared to buy some of the other products for they look like metal that could break the skin n make the feet look worse.

Peoplepleaser, That Septi-soft sounds like it would be good for people with diabetic feet like mine? My feet get dry sometimes yet only the bottom of my feet and put shea butter on to help soothe the dryness. It does a pretty good for a couple of days but then back to dry feet. That is so sweet of you to give your mom a pedicure and she actually enjoys it too. You are a daughter.

My mom is in the late stage of Alzheimers. My dad can still get her in and out of the bathtub and does that once or twice a week. Sometimes I'll wash her hair at the kitchen sink. I also try to spend extra time on her feet about every 2 weeks. I fill a dish pan with warm water and do a home pedicure. This helps get that dead skin off her feet and from between her toes. Then I trim her toenails. She likes the pampering. I warm the bathroom up before we do the "kittie" baths. I get a washcloth warm and tell her to wash her face. Then I quickly hit the "hot" spots with the Septi-soft product mentioned above. She occasionally resists, but I've learned to distract her, then we start back up again. She has never had skin issues, so I feel we're doing a good job.

Opps! bathing time no more than 5 - 10 minuets is what it takes for my mil.

Alot of great tips on here. In addition, depending on the person preference of a shower or tub. make sure their is a non-slipped protector on the bottom of the tub n you may need to put a hand-rail suction cup for them to have something to grab onto as they get in and out. Denpending on their stage, my mil can give herself a bath pretty much n I help with the hair n constantly checking on her n of course with a tap on the door to give them respect n help keep their diginity. She only takes a bath once a wk for she don't get outside n do a lot and that is all she will tolerate for she can be a pistol at times. I do have to get her clothes for she will put back on the dirty ones if I don't n I do set the water tub all ready with a wash rag n such. As for washing hair, well that is a challenging so I take her to the beauty parlor when possible or a dry shampoo from the store. Good luck.