jackalee Asked May 2011

My mother's expensive, uninsured ring disappeared from her hand while she was asleep in her assisted living home. Do we have legal recourse if something is seems stolen?

My mother's expensive, uninsured ring disappeared from her hand while she was recovering in her assisted living apt. from pneumonia. She was sleeping deeply and wouldn't wake up if someone twisted it off of her finger. Any suggestions how we can get remuneration from her facility? I already filed a police report and it didn't go anywhere. She had mild/med dementia but never, ever took that ring off.

37

Answers

1 3 4
MomofTimmy Feb 28, 2018
WOW So many reports. Ever thought of a class action lawsuit or filling up regulators and legislators voice mails, sending letters of complaints to every state attorney office?
Reply to MomofTimmy

freqflyer Feb 27, 2018
Rovana, you are correct, all valuables should be left at home. My parents were in two different facilities, nothing was ever stolen. Misplaced yes. I couldn't find my Mom's eyeglasses for a few days. Eventually I took a flashlight and looked under the mechanics of her hospital bed, and laying on their side on the floor between the bed's footings was Mom's eyeglasses. Without the flashlight I wouldn't been able to see the glasses.

By the way, even people with high incomes are not without temptation to steal.

rovana Feb 27, 2018
MomofTimmy - what I'm going to say you will not like but I worked in Health facility security - Please everyone, don't make us responsible for valuables - we need to spend out time and energy on the kind of security issues that involve patient safety. All valuables should be left at home -don't place temptation in staff's way - for heaven's sake, they are mostly minimum wage workers. We simply cannot be a property guard service.
Reply to rovana

MomofTimmy Feb 27, 2018
MY wife was sent to HORIZAN HEALTH AND REHAB in Manchester TN will I took a break from 24/7 care giving .Admitted 12/11/17 - 12/15/17. While there someone stole her diamond ring. Her left arm was bruised from the armpit to elbow. The ring was listed on inventory sheet when admitted. Listed as missing on outgoing inventory sheet. Police report was made. Executive director will not return calls and has not responded to my last letter 2/5/18. If a person has nothing to hide would you not think they would talk to you ? It is a shame to take advantage of dementia patients. LAWS AND REGS NEED TO BE CHANGED ASAP and / or licensees pulled for this. I think it is a violation of a persons rights. WE ALL NEED TO GO TO THE WEBSITES OF THESE FACILITIES AND FILL THEIR REVIEWS WITH OUR COMPLAINTS. Contact ALL GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS (FEDERAL STATE AND LOCAL) that deal with these homes and get the laws and regulations changed ASAP.
Reply to MomofTimmy

MomofTimmy Feb 27, 2018
The same thing happened to my wife. Due to her dementia she was placed in HORIZON HEALTH AND REHAB in Manchester TN. She was in under respite care while I took a break. Admitted 12/11/17 till 12/15/17.While gone someone stole her Diamond ring. Noted on inventory when admitted and acknowledge it's lost on discharge paper that it was missing. Her left arm was bruised from armpit to elbow. Police report was filed. Have tried to work with Exceyutive Director to no avail. Last letter 1/5/18. No call or correspondence of any kind. DO NOT TAKE ANYONE YOU KNOW THERE. The nurses were all very nice. LAWS NEED TO BE CHANGED ASAP . This treatment of vulnerable people should not be allowed.TIME TO PRESSURE YOUR GOVERNMENT (STATE LOCAL AND FEDERAL ) regulators to change this. If you are not reimbursed for loss than keep posting your complaints And go to ther website and give them the bad reviews. Funny how some sites have ONLY GOOD reviews posted.Wonder why ?
Reply to MomofTimmy

nhquilter Dec 2014
When my f-i-l got ill and passed away last year we searched high and low for his wedding band and never found it - we don't know if it disappeared at the hospital or at the ALF and then about 2 months ago while visiting m-i-l, I noticed her diamond necklace (her engagement diamond on a gold chain) was missing. I asked the head nurse and she didn't remember ever seeing it and checked in the office -- it wasn't on the official check-in inventory so we basically had no recourse. It wasn't worth a lot, but the thought of it disappearing is unnerving. We don't want to accuse anyone, but it makes you very skeptical about the staff.
Frustrating to say the least.
Reply to nhquilter

nhquilter Dec 2014
Frustrating to say the least.
Reply to nhquilter

pamstegma Nov 2014
I hate to say this, but there is a good possibility a relative took it from her "for safe keeping". At least that is the excuse they will give you for taking it. Beware the vultures within your own family.
Reply to pamstegma

u565425 Nov 2014
I am having a horrible time with the nursing home my Dad is in........but Mom is not helping ....she had a fight with my husband over 3 yrs ago and to get back at him accused me with id theft, etc, which i had to take a plea to although i did nothng but did not have 9000 for a one day trial......so she has told all this to the nursing home administrator and even though i was not convicted but adj withheld, she keeps telling everyone i am a convicted felon - myself and my husband are dads only constant visitors and have now purchased him a total of 8 blankets just in this last year .....he also is a stroke victime so he can't move either..........within the last 3 wks, 3 blankets went "missing" , then his distance eyeglasses went "missing" - these were prescription glasses and it is not like he can go have an eye exam.....Mom has also taken away two pairs of his VA issued hearing aids and the ombudsman of Florida is a joke.........i guess if you can smile and say you want to help, your six yr old could be one........my mother, ombudsman and administrator decided Dad did not need his hearing aides because they caused wax and also because he kept throwing them around the room (a physical impossiblilty) - we had to get permission for a 39 inch tv and he needed his distance glasses (that he used to drive with ) just to see that.........so I bought him another blanket on Sunday.......we went to see him today Thanksgiving and I could not believe it was gone..............that is now over 120.00 worth of blankets..........i just bought him another today for 20.00 - we have everything labeled..........in fact, i was peeved on Sunday I wrote his name all across the blanket........and they are not going to tell me a navy blue blanket got dirty between Sunday and Thursday - the dirty light green one they left on him.............are you all telling me that they are not liable for this........I too was going to report it to police as theft as I know someone who used to work in the laundry room of a nursing home and she said the aides took a lot of the stuff............but perscriptin glasses........?? I am leaving a note for the administrator that i will be keeping all recpts and want reimbursement.........i also purchased Dad for Vet Day an embroidered Navy blanket which also has his full long Polish name on it and says WWII Veteran.......i just one wk ago took that home to be dry cleaned and am afraid to bring it back.............if that goes missing that cost was about 150.00 due to all the embroidery but it just made him beam eye to eye.........he has unspecified dementia and between the family dysfunction and the nursing home neglect, it is quite discouraging..............i flipped when i did a a mini poll of the nurses and the aides and only 1 out of about 20 had ever even heard of the supposed ground breaking Obra legislation during Ronald Reagans presidency..........i believe we have to push to have it brought back in the lime light.............when i visit my Dad, we drive close to two hours.........he has a room mate that yells at the top of his lungs help, help and then curses...........if i did not have dementia, i surely would after a couple of days with him................should not this man be removed or sedated so that we can visit...........i cannot imagine what it must be like confined to a bed with someone next to you screaming at the top of his lungs...........when i left today i put a note in the comment book and highlighted it saying "are you kidding me" ?? 2 blankets missing and glasses and i bring a new one on Sunday and it is gne by Thursday.........................there has to be something that can be done..............what the heck is the inventory sheet for ?
Reply to u565425

eileen15 Jun 2012
My mother broke her hip went into rehab, when she returned to ALF all her things were gone I mean everything, even the photo of my mother & dad when they were 20years old. I asked the owner they said they would check it out. They also told me the person that put them away was out of the country.She returned 2 weeks ago I asked her myself she didn't seem to know. Everything has been missing for 10 weeks. The owner acts like no big deal. If I were the guardian of my mother she would be out of that place.
Reply to eileen15

1 3 4