Is it legal for a guardian to secretly do a quit claim deed on his brother's home after he goes into a nursing home?

Asked by
Answers 1 to 3 of 3
Expert Answer
415 helpful answers
The guardian is required by the court that appointed him to file accounts of all the transactions he did. That gives the family (and judge) an opportunity to review the account and file a complaint if something is not right. Thus, the guardian cannot LEGALLY do any transfers secretly.
As a guardian you can sell his home to pay for HIS expenses. Any other option may mess up his ability to receive Medicade if he runs out of funds. He would need to file a quit claim as the title owner. I am sure that he would need to provide I'D proof before the paperwork is filed.
  I see that you posted this question 2 months ago.  The recommendations were to seek legal help.   And you are still asking the same question.  You should be asking about your rights to continue living in this home
Freeda - there's a lot of ? on this site regarding Quit Claim Deeds, you might want to search some of the older posts to get some insight on QCD.

"Legal" well that is totally interdependent on your states laws as to what needs to be done so that a QCD can be valid. And valid not just now but also later on if & when the property is to be sold to others. There is no set single answer. If you have concerns then you make an appt with an atty to discuss all this.

If the NH brother is on Medicaid, & he does a QCD to transfer his property, it will be problem for Medicaid. The entire assessor value of his property could be placed as a transfer penalty on him. Will make him ineligible for Medicaid. It will become a crisis situation for his care and could morph into APS issues for whomever is the DPOA and whomever did the QCD.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support