jazzyg Asked November 2010

How can I keep my grandmothers mind stimulated in the nursing home?

My grandmother is in a nursing home. What can I do to help keep her mind stimulated? She is 100 years young with no medical problems

16

Answers

N1K2R3 Jul 2011
A great way to rid my coffee table (huge) of old magazines is to donate them to the Nursing Homes around town. The residents love them. Leave some on the central table in the main room, and walk around to the rooms in the evening offering them and using their titles or subject matter...." Popular Science" , "Traditional Home". "Discover", "Popular Mechanics". "Elle Decor" , "Sports Illustrated", you name it, I have it.....had it. Staff will dispose of them when they are no longer useful.

I think your grandmother would enjoy the new memory game called Happy Days. Realistic, fine art by Sarah S. Weber from early 1900's. Only found at Memory Jogging Puzzles.

What is unique & fun about this game, you and your grandmother most likely have done these outdoor activities when you were younger, such as: flying a kite, roller skating, catching butterflies (just a few) and you will both enjoy the time together reminiscing. Fun stuff and great memory and brain exercise.

PCVS Jul 2011
My mother has Alzheimers and goes to an adult day care twice a week (thank heavens for CT's Home care for elders program!) where they have all sorts of activities that she doesn't remember but she does remember that she enjoyed herself! Emotional memory lasts a lot longer that regular memory.

priscilla23 Nov 2010
My mom was in recently for hip surgery rehab - she also has Alzheimers so she does not stay tuned in - but I always would see what the activities of the day were - few times a week Bingo - also people would come in for sing alongs - Bunco - they even had a Hawaiian Family night - buffet and dancers - I can't say she enjoyed them - and alot of the time she did not but I took her anyway and tried to get her to join in - usually she didn't but she was there!! It is important to do that and nice that you are concerned - good luck - it's also a good way to meet and get to know the residents or patients and staff and families.

gmbyacht Nov 2010
My 98 yr. old independent neighbor drives her car daily to the country club, goes to church, plays a mean hand of bridge and maintains her dress, home and self in prestine condition. She is VERY smart still. She has a few ailments, but keeps a positive attitude and busy. I am surprised your loved one is in a nursing home with no medical problems? Expensive too!

I agree it is wonderful her being in good health and 100. Most nursing homes have activities, I would make sure she is participating in those, getting out of her room and socializing.

She would probably enjoy any activities she did younger, such as puzzles and playing cards. Snap is a good one, it is similar to gossips.

Do some web searches, you will find what you are looking for.

You say she is 100 years young and no medical problems and in a nursing home. A shame she is in a nursing home because it seems she is in good condition. Some look at the age and just assume that there is diminished capacity. Make her feel vital and needed. Make her think and learn. Challenge her to the fullest. Treat her like the wise person that she likely is. Get her involved with younger folks outside the nursing home setting as much as possible. Of course if health deteriorates, mental and or physical adjustments can be made. Don't fear giving her something to be concerned about even to the extent of reasonable worry. If possible get her away from the folks who really do need to be in the nursing home as much as possible. Fill her with love and respect.

N1K2R3 Nov 2010
Magazines! I drop off magazines at the various nursing homes around town, and they love it! The staff disposes of them after a month and then I carry over some more.

M1953 Nov 2010
I liked the photos idea, maybe some scrap booking with the pictures! That way she can work with colors, etc. I thought would be unique to take a laptop & tell her you would like to journal her life, after all when she is gone you will not be able to do that! Just her age alone is unique! She could probably tell you about the first vehicle she remembers, etc. I also liked the coloring idea also as well as the cross word puzzles. At cracker barrel restaurants is a little triangle shaped game with golf tees in it, she might like to play that or checkers might be easier to handle! Good luck! M from Illinois

Jsomebody Nov 2010
She may be happy just to sit and talk with you now and then too, about her life and yours. After all, that is a lot of memories...