Is it legal to take a sibling's name off of Power of Attorney without telling or notifying them?

Asked by

does this make the new POA legal and therefore allowed exclude that person from all info and care, and to change the locks and refuse to allow sib. into mons house?
to tell all employees in mom s building not to allow me to get a key or entrance? een if this house was where we grew up in and where i had been caring for my mom for over 10 years?
mom did not know that i was no longer on her POA, she wants me to be included-however, that doesnt seem to matter-
what am i legally allowed to do about this?
can this be done? without my knowledge?and prevent me from going into the house-even though i have clothes, and other things in the house-my mom has had that apt for over 50 years-
thank you for any answer or help or advise u can give --

Answers 1 to 10 of 15
There is more to this question. Is the POA activated? Did a doctor or lawyer officially activate it?
Top Answer
No. You cannot be removed from the POA without notification. If your mom is unaware it happened, the change is not valid.

Contact your local Adult Protective Services office through Social Services immediately.
I am not an attorney-As far as I know anyone at anytime can change their POA as log as they are deemed competent and no notification is necessary. Best a certified elder attorney immediately who will guide you to how to proceed.
Good luck.
Current POAs MUST be notified when they are removed, as I said, even if your mom changed it herself, but now claims she is unaware of the change, a Judge would most likely void the new one.

I suggest you continue to act as the responsible party until otherwise ordered, you do have a legal responsbility to do so under the POA.
IF your POA is activated then you need to go through the court system to change the activated POA but if it is not activated then no one needs to notify anyone at least in Wisconsin
State laws may vary. Many of the caregivers that I see thought they were the POA until they found out when they went to use it that it's been changed. I advise people to update it every 3 years to see if the current named individuals are still able, willing and capable of being on their POA,DPA and HCS. Relationships and situations change over time. Once again- you need to speak with a certified elder attorney!
We just had this done. Mom went to an attorney and revoked my sister but the lawyer sent a registered letter to my sister. My uncle who is now POA also contacted her as well. Your parent cannot be declared incompetent and by incompetent I mean having to go to court to get them declared incompetent.
Most states don't require "activation" of a POA and your mother (or a judge if she were to have been declared incapacitated) is the only one who could have removed you. The lawyer would have been required to send letters to all parties involved. (Being declared incapacitated is a lengthy, expensive, involved process and having been a POA, you certainly would have been involved.)

You have rights too.

Best wishes,

Does this depend on the state you live in does anyone know? My Mom changed her POA to me and my sister was never notified it was changed , my Mom told her in person only. I find this very interesting and now wonder...

Way to go homey! Still, rules do vary from state to state.

The way I see it, removing someone when their backs are turned is kind of underhanded and grimy, isn't it? In my experience, this is usually done when the other self-serving, backstabbing, sucker-punching, and often cowardly individual dreads the thought of having to face you.

Well, let me get off this forum for now. I'm having an "episode."

-- ED

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support