How can seniors get inexpensive repairs done to their homes?

Asked by

My mom's home is in need of repairs. How can we make these repairs without it costing an arm and a leg? example updated bath room and kitchen that will not cost an arm and a leg...any advice?

Answers 1 to 10 of 10
Contact your local Senior Center or Local Area on Aging, (google) they will probably have someone they can direct you to. When someone is in the home, be sure to be present and read contract very well to advoid a scam.
Depending on her age maybe a reverse mortgage might be the thing for her the only thing they so not give you what your house is worth and I have heard for most it is not a good deal and would take any paperwork to an elder lawyer before signing anything and the way people are being purscued by these companies makes me nervous but it might be good for her.
Did your mother have a home church at one point? If so, then reach out to them and see if they have anyone in the church body that does handyman type of stuff.
What do you mean by updating? There is nothing wrong with aluminum cabinets with a porcelain over cast iron sink, if that is the problem with the kitchen. I have that and I am satisfied. So does my aunt. There is also nothing wrong with tile and wallpaper. If there are health hazards in the kitchen or bath or the plumbing, heating, or electrical need updated to meet codes, or if the home is not weatherized, that is another matter. You might speak to your local Community Action Commission. They may have funds for weatherization or whatever.
Top Answer
Try searching Eldercare at

You can specify home repair and modification resources, in addition to your local agency on aging and other support services in her area. Also check with your state's Assistive Technology project. If her home needs modification for disabilities (i.e. ramps, accessible shower) they should have information on products and local services. You can look up your state's AT project at
Naricinfo gave good advice. Also contact your local Area on Aging- they too will know of grants and additional fundings that are available. Any home improvement can be a nightmare- check with the BBB before you contract and take pictures before and during the repairs. NEVER give money upfront. For the contract it's typical to give 20- 25% up front at signing, then at different completion stages additional money. Do not pay the final bill until AFTER the city or town inspector gives the okay. If the work isn't done to code you will have to start all over again or make sure that the company brings it up to code- once you pay them in full the chances that they will come back are slim to none. Also, go down to the local building inspector and tell them what you are planning to do and see if they have any referrals or knowledge about the company or person you are planning to hire. Good luck and God bless.
Lots of god tips there. From senior centers referrals for low income assistance to church groups who would love to help out...I hope you find the right people for the jobs good luck...
Contact your local Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) through the National Association of Home Builders ( These companies have been specifically trained to make modifications to help seniors remain independent. The techniques and products used are specifically designed to help seniors remain safe. We (CAPS trained contractors) know what to look for and how to address the needs and wants of seniors. Special considerations are given to physical limitations, cognitive impairments, progressive deceases, and social needs of the aging population. We also know how to gain funding, work with various vendors, and contractors, and coordinate with government agencies to help seniors get exactly what they need for today and the future.
If there are no CAPS certified builders in your area, contact the Home Builders Association closest to you. They know all the licensed contractors and codes for your area. Also, follow the advice above; do not pay upfront, check your contracts carefully, ask for referrals, check with local officials, etc.
From a practical standpoint, there are three ways to get these repairs done for the cost of materials. 1)You can do the work yourself; 2) You can locate a charity source through your church or senior service agencies; or 3) You can trade your skill and time to someone who has the skills you need and needs the skills you have. It's not easy, and may be impossible based on where you live, what you need or what skillls you have to trade. Most people find that assisting, supporting, giving care to or hosting disabled relatives is just plain expensive. Good luck finding a solution.
office of the aging do home repairs?

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support