Is incontinence a symptom of Alzheimer's disease?

My mom is almost totally incontinent and does not seem to realize when she has to wet.

25

Answers

1 2 3
My mom also had urinary incontinence, had to wash the bed sheets daily. System was a waterproof cover, then side by side washable pads, then sheet, then disposable pad, then sheet folded in half and laid over disposable sheet, and tucked under the mattress. So were o ly washi g the top most half sheet most days. It got worse during the day, and the doctor started her on medication for incontinence, because a rash wasn't clearing up. Still uses depends during the day, and has accidents, but no nightime wettting anymore. So do ask about medications. Washing sheets daily was a killer.

Correction to above. Should say, Is there some reason you feel you can't just place him in a facility without taking him to an ER?

Is there any reason you can't have him evaluated for a Memory Care facility?

Does he have the funds for it? If not, you might see if he qualifies for Medicaid. It's very difficult to care for a dementia patient full time alone in the home as you know.

Is there some reason you feel you can just place him in a facility without taking him to an ER?

My husband was diagnosed 4 years ago, but just 5 days ago, he started not knowing how to use the toilet. He forgets to pull down his underwear or depends and tells me that he has to go, but comes out a minute later and says the urge has gone. He's also seeing people in the house. Had him tested for a UTI, but that came back negative. I'm trying to get him into a day care or even a nursing home because I don't have the strength to undress and dress him. He refuses to lift his feet when I ask him and I've now pulled a tendon in my elbow fighting to get his feet up. Is there some trick to use to get him some assistance? the last person I spoke with told me to take him to the ER, and not to say anything about wanting extended care for him. Is that how it works?

My mom doesn't have dementia (that I know of) and is just about incontinent in both "areas", so to speak. To hear her tell it though, she's "not "incontinent", it's just that when I have to go, I HAVE TO GO - NOW! ...and I don't always make it to the bathroom" Oy. ...isn't denial a wonderful thing? ;)

I am now just experiencing this. I have washed my moms sheet everyday for the last 3. So today I went and bought Depends. After reading this I guess I need to get the mattress pads also. I just don't understand why she is doing this now. Went to Dr. last Friday and no UTI so I am ruling that out. The only way I knew she peed the bed is she came out in PJ top and no bottoms, she still kept her panties on and slept in them soaking wet. Not wanting her to get to having a BM in her bed or pants! .

My mother always says that somebody else did it when she pees on herself. I always just tell her that she must have spilled something on herself.

Mom always insists that she doesn't need to go to the bathroom, but if I can manage to get her there she always 'goes.' The trick is to get her there every few hours. She developed a sore on her bottom before she came to live with me, and I had to treat it for weeks before it healed. I can usually get her to come with me to the bathroom by telling her that I have to check the sore on her bottom. Once there, she willingly sits on the toilet. It is well worth the extra effort it takes to get her to the bathroom often. It sure beats dealing with soiled depends, which she calls her panties. She is always surprised if she has soiled her 'panties', so I am sure they don't realize what they are doing. Sometimes she even insists that she didn't do it; that someone else did it in her panties. Oh, yes, a sense of humor helps. Laugh when you can because you surely will cry.

That's so true. What would we do without a sense of humor??!!

Hey Amazing Grace, when I had my first son in 1988, and he threw up, I called my mom and asked her how to clean his clothes, she told me to take them off him, and take them outside and hose them off and that's what I did hahaha. Aint that something! And no it doesn't sound creul especially when you've just finished changing them and they go all over again. It's OK like you say you've got to keep a sense of humor about it.

1 2 3