My mom needs to revoke my sister as her POA. Can we do this ourselves or do we have to get an attorney to do this? It needs to be done ASAP.

Answers 1 to 10 of 44
Since it's a legal document, I think it's best to have an attorney draw a new one up. I've read on here that there are internet forms you can print out and have notarized, but you need to be sure they are legal in your state. Once you have a new POA ,get multiples with original signatures to give out to various financial institutions etc. Your mother is mentally competent as far as understanding what she's signing? If not you'll need to take a different route. Wish you the best!
Yesah.....get an attorney involved. A POA can be revoked at any time by the giver. It all expires at the death of the giver.
On the other hand, a Revocable Living Trust transcends death.
Didn't you go to an attorney about a week ago for this? Just have the same attorney draw up a new POA, have your mother sign it and you're done.
Yes we did. I'm waiting for him to call back. He was in court today.
Top Answer
The latest legal POA takes precedence over previous ones. Now, I will play the devil's advocate. No need to answer but things for you to ponder. Why does your mother NEED to change POA? Is it misuse of funds or that you disagree with how your sister is handling matters? Your mother shouldn't need a POA unless she is incompetent. Your mother signed the POA for your sister while competent so there must be a reason she chose her. Is it possible to discuss the issues surrounding the need for a new POA with your sister? And last, there are POA's that only come into effect when the person becomes incapacitated or incompetent.
Most of them are in the mornings so I hope you can get him this afternoon. I hope something terrible hasn't happened since you last checked in....I thought it was going to be okay to leave sister as financial POA......I hope you can get everything worked out. Good luck!
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm wondering if we should print one off line and get it notarized in the meantime? I have a friend who is a notary that will come to my home.
She wants her money back as my sister does not give her any money, does not show her statements, my mother to her knowledge said she did not sign POA and my sister is throwing around her POA by going to my mother's employer and doctor and whoever else she deems necessary to bash our personal life to everyone that she can. My mother is 81 years old, soon to be 82 and still works and gets no money and it's her money....
If the need is urgent, yes. But, as mentioned earlier all states have different rules and it may be best to ensure that all is legal.
Where would you find that information and exactly what do you mean by legal? My sister has never provided a document that says she is POA to my mother or I for that matter.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support