smileyface Asked November 2010

My father urinates so much so frequently that the staff at the assisted living facility are changing his diaper and clothes 4 times a day. Any suggestions on dealing with this?

Dementia
very limited immobility
on enablex

15

Answers

smileyface Nov 2010
WOW, thanks so much for the many responses. My father is under the care of a urologist and nephrologist. Electrolytes are within normal range and bladder is empting properly. I have gotten him a more absorbant diaper that I hope will help and he has an appt. with his nephrologist next month. The facility staff has been so kind about changing him so frequently and are constantly reminding me that it is their job and that they don't mind. Hopefully his appt. will shed some new light on things and we can come up with something to help. Thanks to all of you for the hugs, concerns and the much needed advice. It definitely helps to know there is a place to go to talk to someone who has been through this. Thanks again!

M1953 Nov 2010
Just thought of something, you should have his potassium levels checked also!

castoff Nov 2010
I would add to watch his sodium levels. High fluid intake can cause sodium levels to drop and that can be lethal. All of his electrolytes should be watched.

Jam Nov 2010
smiley is your dad seeing a cardiologist? You don't want his dosage of lasix decreased.....that will only cause a "back-up" of fluid. Are the nursing home staff complaining about having to change him? At least they are doing that and not letting him wear wet clothing.

pkerr Nov 2010
Everyone else seems to have covered all the bases and made all the suggestions I would have, so I'm just here to give you a big hug and wish you well on your journey.

patrica61 Nov 2010
Yes there may be a medical problem, get with his doctor have them do some test and he may have to see a urologist or PCP-id . Has he been tested for diabetes? If he is on a water pill also and drinks a lot of water that can also caused the extra urine. my mom had that problem with the diabetes and also she had dementia. She would forget, after I told her take her medicine early and not to drink too much water late at night. She would be filled with urine hat went through her diaper. My mom at a assisting living at her last years. If you have a Sams store near by you they have special large diapers, they help. but you need to make sure you label them and spot check yourself. Take care you are on the right path with this web site. its helped me a lot, And I still go on it, even after losing mom almost a year now. I know what people are going through. If you can get him to drink some cranberry juice that may help it may been a urinary infection. take care.

195Austin Nov 2010
Maybe they need to change the time of his lasix Nursing homes are famous for not give meds out on a timely basis maybe if he got it early in the morning then he would stay dry during the night-he probably is suppose to get it at 10am but like most places he probably gets it hours later that is worth trying or maybe they could adjust the dose down.

Jam Nov 2010
If your Dad has a regular physician then he should be checking him when he does his monthly or weekly rounds. Tell the staff to make the doctor aware of your concerns. It's possible it's the Lasix combined with the bladder getting weaker with age. Catheters seem to be the "norm" in nursing homes and if I remember right are to be changed every 72 hours. My mother is in a nursing home and has to "go" about every 15 min. It's part of the job of taking care of the elderly to keep them dry. If you notice a pattern of not changing him.....then that becomes another matter. My MIL made herself believe it was just ok to pee constantly before (in her clothes) and after diaper use. Her new doctor put her on Ditropan and she does very well. Only the occasional dribble now.

michfla317 Nov 2010
Regarding your concern with a catheter.... My mother recently moved into my home from a hospital stay with a catheter (under Hospice Care) and I am told that it will need to be changed every 4 weeks or so to try to prevent infection. I don't know if it would be the same for a male. When my mother was previously in a nursing facility, they do not allow catheters there but maybe some are different. It has worked wonderfully for my Mom and I believe it has kept her from getting constant UTI's but there is still always a risk of infection from the catheter. As Mom keeps saying "getting old isn't for sissies"... and how true it is!! Good luck to you and God Bless!

keithsmom Nov 2010
First of all talk to his doctor, there are many products available for this aliment, it's serious because the assisting living may refuse to do this long term.