GrandpaHiker Asked May 2012

How much water should an 87-year-old lady be drinking each day?

My mother has been going through a series of urinary tract infections. A couple of weeks after the antibiotics clear up one UTI, another starts. Her logic is that if she does not drink much she does not have to go to the bathroom often. I am thinking about filling a container of water each day & explaining to her that she needs to drink all of it each day. Her doctor is thinking about putting her on some type of maintenance antibiotic because she gets so many UTI's. However I would like to try all other avenues before adding one more medication to her already long list of meds.

14

Answers

mindyloo56 Sep 2016
I have a 92 year old mom who is experiencing dementia like symptoms due to her being dehydrated, and having constant utis she is totally non compliant with everythng and does not listen. she seems to have short term memory loss. i have tried everything with the water, flavoring it etc. do not know what else to do. any suggestions???

Jeanne, excellent advice "Try to keep the rest of her life as pleasant as it can be!"

That one small piece of advice can be useful for anyone, anytime. I am going to borrow it and post on 'what's on my mind'. You are one wise one!

BabyKay Jan 2016
I read somewhere that people with dementia may not be able to see water well... In a glass or in the shower...so I'm putting a bit of orange juice into my parent's water glass. Straws seem to make drinking more successful. Because she has trouble drinking 8 oz at a time, I am encouraging soups and fruits with high water content.

jeannegibbs Dec 2015
Shorty40, it is generally better to post your own question separately, to get the most responses.

It sounds like either grandpa isn't actually taking the pill or it is not sufficient for the problem. Do you observe him taking the pill? Can you figure out from the number of pills left in the bottle and the date of the prescription whether he is taking them every day?

His symptoms need to be discussed with his doctor, and the doctor needs to know whether he is really taking the pills.

My mother said she took her pills, but a bottle of pills that was supposed to last a month was not empty at the end of three months.

jeannegibbs Dec 2015
GrandpaHiker, in my opinion the most important thing at this point is to prevent the recurring infections. If it takes another pill to do that, so be it. Her doctor is the best person to discuss that with. (Obviously getting opinions from others who have been through this is good background for that discussion.)

If you can encourage mom to take in more fluid, great! Popcycles, tea, iced tea, coffee, fruit juice, half-juice/half-soda water, and fruits. How about soup for lunch nearly every day? I hope watermelon for my husband even in the ridiculously expensive off season because he loved it and it has a high water content. If you can increase her fluid intake without making a fuss about it, wonderful!

But, again just my opinion, turning this into a contest of wills would be about as bad as having constant infections.

Try to keep the rest of her life as pleasant as it can be.

Shorty40 Dec 2015
My grandpa has been taking a water pill every day to get rid of the water retention but it ends up that he has swollen ankles and feet. What should I do?

deontrae, normal phase of dementia probably.I bought unstrippable pajamas online, then made some.you can google them, got mine at buck and buck for my mother. send me a message if you need more help, good luck.

deontrae Apr 2013
Why does my motherinlaw pull her pants halfway down in bed and what can or is there any thing I can do.

Hi GrandpaHiker, glad to help. My Mom isnt on blood thinners. Just remembering , Bactrim was once prescribed for her and she was acting crazy on it so we switched to the amoxicillin. I since asked a CNA about it and she said a lot of people in nursing homes have a problem with bactrim also. I wouldnt get it if you can avoid it. We get the amoxicillin thru the mail order so I always have plenty and use when I feel she needs it. She is on 250mg daily and I give it after supper when her belly is full. Moms 90, I am not worried about her having too many antibiotics, lol. IF I can help you with anything else, just ask. Good luck!

Reverseroles, thanks for your reply. I am supposed to take my mom to her doctor tomorrow. He wants to put her on a maintenance antibiotic. I don't know what drug he has in mind, but I'll mentiion the amox to him.

Is your mom on any type of blood thinner (Warfarin or Coumadin)? I found that amox increased the effect of blood thinner. So I guess if we go that route we would reduce the Warfarin dosage. Of course she has PT/INR blood tests on a average of twice monthly.