How much does it cost to get guardianship?

My mother is almost 90, has dementia, and is getting more and more confused and hard to deal with. She absolutely refuses to go to a nursing home. I heard that getting guardianship is very expensive, into thousands of dollars, and I don't have that kind of money. Can anyone tell me about this? By the way, she lives with me, and we are having a terrible time getting along. She simply will not listen to me.

15

Answers

I am a solid care giver gof mom and her condition is getting worse than ever Before.. She no longer talking ( less than three words and she can't no loger walk anymore, I am going throgh am extreme difficult not only physically but also I am suffering from depression and feeling of guilty ) she needs a guidianship but It cost too much and all cost of taking care of my mom is out of my potket. My main concern is her her vision pretty impaired after she had fallen almost 4 month ago. I will appreciate any advises or feedback.
Allison

Do you pay a fee yearly when you have been made guardianship.

I went to an Office Supply store and purchased a POA. My uncle and I signed it before 2 witnesses and a notary. I did this before my uncle was in stage 3 of dementia. He was having problems with his memory, but I did not think it was severe. He struggle a little names and dates. He knew his enlistment number, his name and his date of birth. When asked, he recalled his relatives' names and relationship. His memory is not that good now. Do you think my POA is usable?

Diva, you might want to post your own question on a new thread, rather than here at the bottom of an older thread. Not many people may look at this one, since it's old.

I will say that you should consult with an attorney about it. Find out if you have proof of what he did and if the statute of limitations has expired or not to go after him. Laws vary by state. The attorney should be able to give you your options. Is he still operating as her POA? In some states, POA's have to file accountings with the clerk of court's office. You might inquire about that and see what he filed.

6 years ago my brother and my mother had joint checking account..but my mother is after the stroke. and dementia...so my brother used her poa and he witdrow all the money..now i'm taking care of my mother..and my question is if can I sue my brother to give her money back?

Some court houses have free consulting for family matters. Check there. student lawyers need practice...They will walk you through the steps. It takes a few days, andit may be harder with an olderly mental person. AT least its a start. Go to the court house and ask where family help is. It's a start.goodluck

Thank you very much for your comment and answers. My mother died in March. I should have responded before this, but things have been very difficult. I thank everyone who has answered. I have felt great relief since she has passed, but I also feel much guilt. I will talk about it at another time. Thank you all.

SavingPapi, you would get the most personalized responses to your question, if you posting as an entirely new question, not as a response to another question. But it sounds like your mom is no longer able to serve as Guardian to your dad-- so you need to pursue Guardianship for your dad. Have you documented everything you've been doing? Can you get witnesses that have seen your daily efforts for dad? Does the ALF have a sign-in book, and/or video security tape which has captured all your daily visits? Do you have any credit card records of taking dad.out to eat, doctor appointments, did you take any photos of him on your cell.phone? These types of documentation could be very valuable when pursuing guardianship. Best wishes. Hope everything works out for your dad's sake.

My mother has guardianship on my father. And she has been living up north for close to two years. While I am making sure my father gets everything he needs while in the ALF he is at. Now my mother has gotten worse with brain tumor and my sister doesn't want me to become guardian and doesn't help me with anything I do for my father. I take him to all his appointments and take him out to eat and haircuts and pay out of my pocket. But now it is getting tougher for me and I don't like how my sister is ignoring all I do for our father. She only comes three times a Year and I am there everyday. What can I do when I don't have money for an attorney. My father is doing so much better since I became POA of his health only. Help!!!!

In some states guardianship requires getting an attorney, but not in all. North Carolina guardianship cases, for example, are handled by the County Clerk of Superior Court and do not require a lawyer. However, you should at least consult with an attorney if there is any disagreement among the family.