How do you convince an elderly person (who is always cold) to turn on air conditioning in summer? - AgingCare.com

How do you convince an elderly person (who is always cold) to turn on air conditioning in summer?

I live with my grandma and I have long hair and wear makeup. When it gets hot in the summertime, I have to beg her every year to turn on our central air conditioning because she always gets cold (and it's more expensive to run). It has reached the point again where open windows and fans aren't enough. What should I do?

26

Answers

YES, close the vents in her room. OR in your room if the heat comes on and open your window at night. That works for me.

I know this issue. My partner is always cold. I hate it. I am 73 and always HOT. I bought a fan tall one that rotates. I rotate it in the Family room to keep it cooler. The air comes on when it gets to about 80 in the house. My best temp is about 60, no warmer. We live on the Coast so it can get humid. WE also have a River that flows from the East off the 5 and Medford which brings hot air and heavy winds from the heat in Medford.

I'm not sure how old you are. Are you her caretaker? Does she rely on you to be there so that she can live in her home? If so, then I would approach it differently than if she is capable of living on her own. Because, if you are an adult, you could move out. So, you pretty much have to play by her rules and preferences.

I think I would discuss it with her and see if you can come to a middle ground. First buy digital thermometers for the rooms you go into the most. See if some of the rooms are cooler. Try to arrange it so that most of the AC cool air is reaching you. As someone else said, close the vents to her rooms. AND I would consider a standing portable AC unit. I can be moved from room to room. It has a hose that can be placed in any window. They are affordable too.

During the night, you could use the portable AC. I would get the average for electric bills from the past and agree to pay for any mount that is greater. It shouldn't be that much more.

If you are going to be around for the future to help care for your grandmother, I would think she would want to make the house an enjoyable place for you to be.

Another tip I learned. If you are hot and she won't turn on AC. Place a large tub of ice in front of a fan. Sit in front of it and it creates a nice cool breeze. At least for a little while.

I had my mother's doctor tell her what the ac thermostat should be set to. I could never live with my mother. If she's "nursing home material" according to her doctors, consider what that means. She needs 3 shifts of caregivers. One person cannot do that job, dear.

Google "fake thermostats". Guess that means a HVAC tech will need to place the real thermostat someplace else, out of eye sight for the elder who keeps changing the temperature.

You are never going to get two complete opposites to agree, but you may be able to work out a compromise. Some people I know like to set the thermostat to 72 or even 70 degrees, I keep my house warmer than that in the winter LOL!
I set my a/c to 78/79 degrees and mom is still cold, but at least the humidity is under control and we don't have sweat dripping down our faces, besides, I'm cold blooded too and I don't mind the heat. You might be able to get away with lowering it a few degrees at night after she goes to bed as long as you close the vents in her room and make sure she has a cozy blanket. If that isn't cool enough for you using a portable a/c in your rooms is probably the best solution as long as you agree chip in on the electric bill.

Caring, here is good news, if your Mom cannot afford to pay for a nursing home you can sign her up with Medicaid and they will help pay for her room/board. If your Mom owns a house, Medicaid will place a lien on it so that they can get paid. Decisions, decisions.

By the way, folks of your Mom's generation think nursing homes are asylums.... that was the stereotypical thinking back then. One would think that your Mom would enjoy not needing to fuss about a house and all the repairs, and be around people of her own generation. Some of these centers are so nice, I am ready to sign up :)

Thank you for the advice. We were SCREAMING at each other. My mom is 86 thyroid problems and hasn't moved in 50 years (Dad did everything, now is gone) and I am 58 (ovaries removed), therefore menopausal SWEATS!!! Trying to be with her during this time. I have crocheted 3 blankets for her, she won't use them cause she wants to be in CONTROL. She is starting dementia and that is another bag of problems. Wont take her pills throws them out, looses them etc. Told me and a visiting nurse not to touch her pills, she is in charge. Probably in denial sh stopped taking those and now realizes she needs to take them otherwise she is 10 years old. Don't even ask me about the arguments of her driving!!! Doctor said no, so she blasts me everytime we are in the car....One time she blasted me so violently I almost lost control of the car. Question: Be nice but what advice can you give to me.

She has called in the a/c repairman $$$$$ wasted money cause all he is going to do is jack the temp. Just to prove she is right....

The best thing I heard is to just hide out in a room with a fan or small air conditioner running. She's also complaining about the electric bill. Tough! I told her that she might as well not have air conditioning whatsoever. Turn it the blank off. I will just use a fan and stay out of range of her and outside as much as possible. It will do me some good cause she has me running like a chicken with my head cut off doing immediate errands so (she doesn't forget). We have gotten into the arguments that I won't live as long as her if she keeps this up. Ive been told she is nursing home material but we cannot afford that and for her she feels that is the death sentence. I don't want to do that to her. I will live with her but this is tough, I need advice for myself. Got any?

I feel for you. But it has been my experience that they cannot and will not tolerate colder temperatures. Is there a room that you can keep warm for her? Or a room that you can keep cool for you? Be sure she has socks and perhaps long johns to help her keep her temperature up.

As yes, my parents [age mid-90's] have their house set like a sauna.... my house is set like a meat locker.

It is my Mom who is so cold, and it's from her thyroid condition, her hands feel like ice so that must hurt. So year around she is wearing slacks, thermo undershirt, knit top, sweater, knee socks, shoes, and a scarf around her neck. In summer my Dad is dressed in long shorts, and well, nothing else as their house is too hot for him, but to make Mom happy he deals with it. In winter, he will put on a knit shirt and socks.

Whenever my parents come over to visit, I will set the temps to make the house feel warmer as I figure I can deal with that for 4 hours... it's not set at sauna, but more like sun porch warm. Mom will bring a sweater in case she gets chilled but rarely has to use it.

I was having temperature wars at work... my boss liked the office toasty and I didn't.... I solved the problem by closing off the ceiling vents in my office, and opening all of them in his office.... in summer, I would do the reverse. It has worked out pretty good.