How do you convince an elderly person (who is always cold) to turn on air conditioning in summer?

Read More
You are never going to get two complete opposites to agree, but you may be able to work out a compromise. Some people I know like to set the thermostat to 72 or even 70 degrees, I keep my house warmer than that in the winter LOL!
I set my a/c to 78/79 degrees and mom is still cold, but at least the humidity is under control and we don't have sweat dripping down our faces, besides, I'm cold blooded too and I don't mind the heat. You might be able to get away with lowering it a few degrees at night after she goes to bed as long as you close the vents in her room and make sure she has a cozy blanket. If that isn't cool enough for you using a portable a/c in your rooms is probably the best solution as long as you agree chip in on the electric bill.
Google "fake thermostats". Guess that means a HVAC tech will need to place the real thermostat someplace else, out of eye sight for the elder who keeps changing the temperature.
I had my mother's doctor tell her what the ac thermostat should be set to. I could never live with my mother. If she's "nursing home material" according to her doctors, consider what that means. She needs 3 shifts of caregivers. One person cannot do that job, dear.

I'm not sure how old you are. Are you her caretaker? Does she rely on you to be there so that she can live in her home? If so, then I would approach it differently than if she is capable of living on her own. Because, if you are an adult, you could move out. So, you pretty much have to play by her rules and preferences.

I think I would discuss it with her and see if you can come to a middle ground. First buy digital thermometers for the rooms you go into the most. See if some of the rooms are cooler. Try to arrange it so that most of the AC cool air is reaching you. As someone else said, close the vents to her rooms. AND I would consider a standing portable AC unit. I can be moved from room to room. It has a hose that can be placed in any window. They are affordable too.

During the night, you could use the portable AC. I would get the average for electric bills from the past and agree to pay for any mount that is greater. It shouldn't be that much more.

If you are going to be around for the future to help care for your grandmother, I would think she would want to make the house an enjoyable place for you to be.

Another tip I learned. If you are hot and she won't turn on AC. Place a large tub of ice in front of a fan. Sit in front of it and it creates a nice cool breeze. At least for a little while.
I know this issue. My partner is always cold. I hate it. I am 73 and always HOT. I bought a fan tall one that rotates. I rotate it in the Family room to keep it cooler. The air comes on when it gets to about 80 in the house. My best temp is about 60, no warmer. We live on the Coast so it can get humid. WE also have a River that flows from the East off the 5 and Medford which brings hot air and heavy winds from the heat in Medford.
YES, close the vents in her room. OR in your room if the heat comes on and open your window at night. That works for me.
You could mention to her that when you are running around working in the house you get too hot to work, cook, do chores, etc. Would she be willing to wear a sweater and a lap blanket? It depends on your household and financial situation, but these might work. How about a warm beverage or drinkable soup to keep her warm?
Another thought. I don't know why you are staying there, if you are a paid or unpaid caretaker, a student, etc. However, if you get too hot could you get to a library or someplace cool and oet her hire someone to take care of her? Maybe she would miss you and agree to use the ac.
Forget trying. My Partner passed and I have to call the Heating guy over here to reset the controller. I cannot handle the heat on in the morning. I always went outside a lot to cool off. It is something (which I think is worse in women) that the elderly need more heat.
The nursing home I visit keeps the temp at 74 in the winter and in Summer many residents refuse a window unit until the room hits 80. So try a middle setting, about 77 or just set the unit to de-humidify if it has that option.