Where does someone begin with starting a home health service for the elderly?


I'm interested in providing home healthcare for elderly and I would like to know how would I begin a home health service for the elderly?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.


I take it that you are interested in starting your own business, Djaris. Did you have in mind bringing people into your home, or going out into their homes?

The Small Business Administration in your state should have lots of helpful information about the "business" aspects of running such an enterprise -- the tax aspects, employment rules if you will be hiring other people, etc. They can help you with a business plan.

Your state agency on aging may be able to direct you to sources of regulations regarding what you would like to do.

You may wish to work for a company that does what you want to do, for some on-the-job training and some insight into how the business runs.

There is a huge need for small group homes and for in-home services, and if you have the aptitude and the interest to provide this kind of business, I wish you all the success in the world!
Helpful Answer (0)

In the past, seniors who lacked the mobility necessary to be completely self-sufficient often turned to nursing homes. Today, seniors have a number of options for obtaining various levels of care, such as home care, assisted living and medical and nonmedical transportation services. Many seniors who wish to retain their independence require minimal assistance, which can include transportation services, cleaning services, companionship, diet monitoring, bill payment, grooming assistance and light chores. An elder care business can meet these needs.
Some health care services can be provided at home by trained professionals, such as occupational therapists, social workers, or home health nurses. Check with your insurance or health service to see what kind of coverage is available, although you may have to cover some cost out of pocket. Information on Medicare coverage in the U.S. can be found in the Resources section below. Hospice care can also be provided at home.
Helpful Answer (0)

I started with calling
The department of Aging
Then I called the local Alzheimers Association in the nearest town. They gave me lists of care givers in my area and attorneys that do Elder law.

Even if they dont have Alzheimers, its worth talking to them because they are nice and helpful, as you never know if you are headed that way these days with a parent and dont see it yet.

We have our first ever care giver coming today at 10 am to try to bath my mother, as she has been living with us two weeks, and she doesn't want to take a bath, and says she can sponge bath when necessary. ITS very difficult to argue with an 89 year old woman who has the early stages of dementia and Alzheimer's, especially when you cant get them to wear a BADLY needed hearing aid.
I am worried about how this first visit will go and need to pray to the Lord that it will go ok, as we need help doing these things, as I dont feel comfortable as her son bathing her.
She gets around pretty good, and doesnt need a walker, so my next big goal is to take her to the senior center near us after we get the bathing thing under control with outside help.
Helpful Answer (1)

I would ask someone at your parish/church/friends/neighbors first. Then I would check them out with the BBB. Then pick several and interview them, they have a tendency to interview them. Follow your instinct when picking an agency.
Helpful Answer (0)

Contact the Department of Health and Human Services in your state. Or the Ombudsman office or another home healthcare business in your area.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.