Can I hire companions for my mother who lives in Assisted Living Facility?

The doctor says mom should no longer be by herself. She refuses to go to a nursing home and quite frankly I think they do less there than the assisted living facility mom lives in. I went ahead and hired some caregivers to be companions/sitters and assist her with some things so that she could recover and get stronger. The CNAs at the assisted living facility aren't able to be with mom all the time and she often is dizzy and can't get out of her chair by herself.
I ran into a situation now that I have been told that I cannot hire unlicensed, uninsured caregivers at the assisted living. I also have been told that by their nurse that they would not take mom back unless she had more help! They are trying to force me into hiring agency employees that will cost much more. They are claiming that the people visiting mom are strangers to them and do not wear badges. I think there are lots of people around the building coming and going that people do not know. I think that is unfair that they are forcing me to use an agency. If Mom had a friend or family with her, it would not be an issue. It's because we are paying someone to stay with her. I think they will be forcing us to terminate our extra help. I realize it could be a conflict of interest legally if I hired a CNA AS A CNA; but I'm not. These are just companions. What are your thoughts about this and how can I continue to get mom help outside of what the assisted living facility provides so she does not have to go in a nursing home?

19

Answers

My residents families have hired outside "visiting" for their loved ones, I think if families want this service they should have the right to it without resistance. I agree visitors hired should have TB and CPR certif , but its more about finding the rignt fit.

Activitiesgirl, my Dad had a caregiver from a licensed Agency while he lived in Independent Living and when he moved to Assisted Living. It really helped keep his day in a normal routine. And the caregiver was an excellent match for him.

The place where my Dad lived, the caregiving Agency had to be licensed, bonded, insured, have workman's comp for their employees, and show that the caregiver had passed their TB test and had proof of a flu shot. The facility didn't want outside caregivers roaming the halls if they didn't know who they were and what Agency.... it would worry the residents if they saw an unfamiliar face.

Be sure you look at your state laws. Here in NY, even a volunteer in a facility has to be background checked.

I am actually in the process of starting a business for this very thing, I work in a 5 star facility and I feel there is a great need for this,not a CNA or Private duty aide but more just a long visit with someone to help them through the day, interact and sing and read and the list goes on.

Seriously, they can do what they want. If they have in their contract no uninsured or unlicensed CNA's, then that is what they want. They are private businesses.They could be afraid of liability, state laws may mandate or they could be looking at the bottom line. Whatever, they do have the right to set their own rules. You can find another AL if their rules do not fit your situation. I would shop around. And I personally wouldn't hire an uninsured or unlicensed person for my home. I know they are cheaper, until they get hurt. Then suddenly your savings go out the window.

Just remember to be careful about who is chosen to sit with your parent at the facility. Having someone who is properly trained and knows what to do in case of an emergency is very valuable.

I worked for over a year in a retirement community and although we had nurses and CNA's available, residents and their families were still allowed to hire anyone they wanted or needed to hire ALTHOUGH those who came into the building were required to sign in so that we knew they were in the building. Check the rules and regs of the facility your mom is in and see if there is anything in the policies that 'forbids' hiring outside help. There may be a legal issue with medical aide being offered from someone who is not licensed, but otherwise, I don't believe the facility can bar you from hiring help for your mom. You may need to consult with the managers of the facilty or the licensed nursing supervisor. Unless you or your mom signed an agreement to use ONLY the facilities nursing facility or employees, you can hire whom every you wish. Don't let them "just say so", respectfully request to see it in writing.

As long as you are paying them out of your own pocket you can have anyone come in there -- that sounds logical, and it is, in an independent living apartment. But you sign a contract and agree to terms in a long term care facility. Just because one place accepts certain practices doesn't mean another one will. You need to start by looking at the specific contract for the specific facility in question.

live with LOve peace and harmany
will change ones life

Yes. My mom was in assist. living and a Snif and both allowed it since YOU pay for them unless of course they are friends or family.