ivoryrose11 Asked June 2010

My mom had a heart bypass (4 bypass) 10 years ago and is very angry often. Is it true that heart disease patients can develop anger problems?

2

Answers

After my dad had a severe heart attack at 61, he became angry, lashing out and talking ugly. I was absolutely shocked as this was not how dad had ever acted as long as I'd known him. His doctor said it was not uncommon, plus the medication could contribute to the personality change. Unfortunately, dad was probably in the first stages of Alz too. He was never the same. He got prostate cancer, Parkinson's, glaucoma, & Alz on top of the heart disease. He died at 69. If dad ever talked ugly after that, I understood that he had a right to be angry.
Has your mom's doctor ever given you any reason why she is so angry after all this time? You'd think she'd be happy she survived the surgery and has lived this long. I know it must be frustrating for you.

NancyH Jun 2010
My mother also had a quadruple bypass ten years ago, but she didn't turn mean. She's always been ornery though, but that's unrelated to the heart attack she had. We just give it right back to her when she gets gnarly.