How can I have my son be paid to be my caregiver and what forms do I have to fill out and who do I need to speak too?

Asked by

I haave depression and some mobility issues and he knows all about my meds and my va doctors

Answers 1 to 5 of 5
Where do I go to get the papers to become a caregiver?
see if there is a waiver program in the area where you live it goes about your income and if you are found eligible the state welfare takes over and helps pay for your care. my mom is in the program and has care 7 days a week, i work on the weekdays she has a nurse aide to care for her, then i get paid on the weekends to care for her
nervemancraig ,

There are two great article written by Editor’s that were already posted in our community. We thought this might answer your caregiving question.


“10 Government Programs You Can Access for Your Elderly Parents.”


“How Can I Get Paid for taking Care of My Elderly Parents?”

Best of Luck :)
Karie H. Team
Can my son be my caregiver and live with me and get pay
Top Answer
Maria6, if you are eligible for Medicaid, most states have a program that pays for in-home help that can be provided by a family member.

The county will do a Medicaid needs assessment and determine the amount and kind of in-home care they will pay for. For example, they may determine that you are not eligible for caregiving but you need housecleaning help. Or that you can receive 15 hours a week of caregiving and also cleaning/laundry help of 4 hours a week. And so on.

This financial help is extremely valuable to the Medicaid recipient. It often enables them to stay at home. But the amounts are seldom equivalent to a full-time job for the caregiver.

My mother (dementia and mobility problems) was eligible for caregiving and housekeeping. My brother got paid for the housekeeping. That was a very small amount but he is on disability and the little job was perfect for him. My sister had just retired and Mother went to live with her. She received the caregiving money Mother was awarded.

So, if you qualify for Medicaid your son may be able to be paid for some services, but it will not be as much as if he had a full time job.

I am not aware of other programs that pay for in-home help.

Of course you are free to pay him out of your own funds.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support