If I have durable power of attorney and my mother can still say yes or no to being placed in a facility. Do I need to pursue guardianship?

Asked by

My mom has dementia .My sister and I agree that she would benefit from assited living .We have discussed this with her and she agrees one day and then not the next. We both have durable power of attorney. Do we need to pursue guardianship or can we place her in a home regardless?

Answers 1 to 1 of 1
Expert Answer
3930 helpful answers
If you have medical evidence that your mother cannot live as she is now and needs a home, you likely have the authority to do that. You should check with an attorney, however, to be sure, as states vary on some of these laws.
I hope you can do what is right with minimal stress. Take care,

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support