What do I do with my Mom's dog after she has been placed in a nursing home?

My mother has a small dog that is her baby. Taking care of this dog is more important to her than taking care of herself. Now that she is in the nursing home and not adjusting well, the staff said to wait until she is more resigned to being there before bringing the dog for a visit. I can not take the dog into my home and now I feel like I've traded caring for my mom 24/7 to caring for a dog that I have to leave at her house. All of this has happened in this last week I am going to have to get help to clean up the house it's and taske care of other issues like finances, etc. I feel that mom seening her dog might be good therapy down the road, but what suggestion does anyone have in the short term? Thank-you to one and all for the continued love and support.

17

Answers

I have my dad's 2 dogs. His rat terrier loves him dearly and it is always a lift to my dad when I take her to see him. It has been almost 3 years and she still is so excited and happy to see him and does not want to leave him. It makes him feel good.
PUT UP A FENCE for the dog and take care of it. Like one of the other posts states - the dog IS a family member.
I also took in my aunts dog when she died. Her kids and grandkids were going to take it to the animal shelter. It was such a nervous dog after losing its "dad" and then it's "mom" that it took me 3 months to get her calmed down. But when I think of my aunts loyal dog being dumped it makes me sick. Her children and grandchildren who have been fighting over her estate,,,, dumped her dog. It is truly sickening.

Wonder what God is thinking of them? Wonder what aunt Sis is thinking of them?
Sure it is an added expense I cannot afford :) and an adjustment but God gave me resources and the dogs are a blessing now.

Unbelievable I remebered the cats name it is Oscar(I am shocked I did remember).

There are not too many people my Mother recalls when I mention them to her, not even her son or her grandchildren but since this quextion arised here I asked her if she remmembered "jacob" gave her time to think she said aww the dog I miss him! Memories seem to be stronger if there is some sort of emotional feeling attached to the memory good or bad. Think about a song you here on the radio and it triggers you to remember a time and place associated to the song. The song brings you back almost to that memory, maybe that's why songs are strong in the minds of people who have memory loss. There is a story I also read in readers digest about a cat If I remember correctly his name was Oscar. He lived in a NH it's is a good story I am going to see if I can google it.

Thank-you everyone for you support and suggestions. The staff are looking forward to meeting "Bucky". They have a little beagle name "Lucky" that visits everyone. The only reason that it was suggested that I wait a while before letting Bucky visit was so mom could become more settled, she is still insisting that she can come home and at times combatitive with me and the staff. This is an adjustment period, not sure from day to day how she will re-act, her physical health is still weak and her anger is not helping. Hope that I can take the pup in sometime next week. I know they miss each other and it will be good for both of them to see each other. Anyone have any suggestions on how I or the staff can start getting her to understand that she will not be going home, because its not safe for her and she needs to be where she can start getting better (if that's the right phrases to use) or should the Doctor speak with her this coming week when he visits? Bless all you pet lovers. NiniBug

I was very fortunate to find an assisted living/aging in place residence where my dad can have his 2 cats in his private room WITH him. My dad is bed bound and this place is a real blessing - it is like a home rather than an institution. Even though a dog may be more of a challenge to place because it doesn't use a litterbox (although there are some interesting products on the market along these lines for dogs....) You may find something like this in your community for your mom. The one I found is in the country only 5 miles from my home, so I can swing by several times a week on my way to town to do litterboxes as to not be a burden on the staff. Also, it beats the heck out of all the nursing homes I looked at. It isnt covered by medicaid but the owners are really willing to work with people. Good luck.

I don't understand what would be the hurt in allowing your mother to see her dog, she already has lost so much independence, dogs are like our babies, what would be the harm in letting her see him, and him her?? Was this a real person in charge that said it wasn't a good idea or one of the care aids? Sometimes well meaning cna's try to give there advice but its is up to you. If you think they miss each other let them have a visit.

This just happened to me. My mom just went into the nursing home 2 months ago. My dad just had a stroke 2 weeks ago. So I now have the dog. The dog was protective of my parents, never liked me to go near them. He is now my best friend. Both of my parents' adore him. My mom has Alzheimers but will ask everyday how the dog is. I am able to take him up to visit her, usually once a week. It is very good for her.
My dad is in rehab in the same facility. He asks me all the time to bring the dog in.
The dog is 12 years old, a shiz tzu...hasn't got much longer. It's the least I can do for my parents. I have 4 cats, but we are now one big happy family!!
I do feel for you, and understand what you are going through...there are many of us out here going through it also. Fostering is your best option right now. Your local shelter or SPCA can help you out.

I agree with you Lilliput... we have a little westie too... and My husband teases me that I can be semi-concious and be looking for my dog!

I'd also like to encourage you to do what you can to get your mom and her dog together. Before I brought my mom to live with me, I belonged to a therapy dog group and went to nursing homes and hospitals every week. It's amazing how seeing a dog can brighten someone's day. Also, please consider that the dog is also going through a grieving process, being away from the love of his life. Finding the proper home for it is important also. If you really feel that you can't take care of the dog, try contacting a therapy dog group in your area. Perhaps someone there would be willing to take the dog in and take it to see your mom. I know that when my turn comes, I will hope that someone will bring my dog to see me!

I have my Dad's dog... he died in July! She is a little yorkie... I absolutely dread something happening to her!!!