How does one handle the delusions/hallucinations by their elderly parent?

My father is getting obsessed over his dogs and the fact that he thinks they are lost and that the neighbors have called him and told him that they have the dogs. The dogs are right there with him. Dad's caregivers do not know what to do with him and I am far away and can't do anything but call and talk to him. How does one handle the delusions/hallucinations? We are worried that he may do something bad.

24

Answers

1 2 3
Hi, my husband is looking after his grandad and they are very close. All of a sudden out of nowhere he accused my husband of stealing his plates and got quite violent he is 84. He asked my husband for his key and has now said he wants nothing to do with us. We are in total shock!

I have noticed that slowly my mother's confusion has increased. She is 92 and came to live with my husband and I sevreral ities north of where she was living. When going to her eye doctor one day she exclaimed how fast we got to her hometown when we were in the same town we currently live in.
I have taken her to a neurologist who after doing a CAT scan, determined that she has mild Alzheimer's type dementia.
Last week she was relating a story about how my dad and she were driving back from a town out in the countryside on a named road and he had a heart attack and she had to drive him into town to the local hospital.
All of this had occurred but it had occurred with my stepfather whom she had been married to over 25 years before he passed away. My father passed away hen I was 14 and had never lived in the state we live in for over 35 years!
At that time I'd not know how to handle this so I questioned her about specifics which were true and tried to logically reason with her that it couldn't have happened withmy father and was most assuredly something that happened with my stepfather. She became more insistent and gave more evidence that it was with my father. We haven't spoken about it since, but a friend said that I should not argue with her. This is tough to deal with since she has always been so with it

Hi, this is an update on what I did about my 94 y/o mother with hallucinations and delusions that she was getting married. Mom has a great internist so we problem solved: 1) Turns out she had a low-grade urinary tract infection for which she was given antibiotics - that can make seniors confused; 2) Turns out there are neighbors across the way that fit the description of what mom was recounting, less her involvement -so there was some basis, just not in fact. She recounted feeling very lonely and wanting a happier life (so she formed one in her head). Turns out the aide was ignoring her all day, so I got rid of the aide and found a nicer more engaging aide and tried to make her feel special; 3) Turns out she had bed bug bites (thank you new boxspring!) so we got rid of them, her bites and her rash - that would make me nuts!; 4) Her thyroid levels were off so we adjusted her med 4) We put her on a low dose of Risperidone 0.25mg (an anti-psychotic approved for seniors with hallucinations and aggitation) that seems to have helped; 5) I had noticed that when the manufacturer of her Lexapro generic was changed it did not seem to have the same positive effect, so I went back to the Lexapro dispensed by CVS and her mood improved - I learned sometimes not all generic drugs are alike or as effective fr certain individuals. And, there is the fact that at such an advanced age the brain short circuits. So I have been learning to go along when she is agitated and in calmer moments gently guide her towards reality with support, love and DISTRACTION! If she is engaged in other things, her mind doesn't go there. It is sad, though, all her friends and siblings have pre-deceased her, so she does get lonely. We spend a great deal of time cooing and occupying babies and small children - we don't spend enough time doing the same for the vulnerable elderly, who in some ways go back to being just as needy. Hope this helps and gives some ideas!

My father who is 84 has recently over the past two months told us that the people on the tv are talking to him ie the news football politics they have to be live disscussions not pre recorded. He has recently had a mini mmi and a ct scan which came back clear but these dillusions have been getting more frequent we as a family confided in his GP so he arranged for an appointmment with the old age physacriaty and he got a letter and we have just found out he cancelled it ,he has also over the last four days not mentioned about the tv which we thought was strange can you advise how to deal with this as we are worried but would make him do something he dosent want to do , thanks

My 94 y/o mother with moderate dementia has suddenly started making up friendships with people that don't exist in her life. This has quickly progressed to one of the friendships asking her to marry him and she accepted. She sees him in the trees and he communicates by writing to her and she reads what he writes from the window. It is so detailed, quite romantic, and progressing quickly. She is homebound and was on the way out the door (and down the stairs unassisted) to meet him and his family - she was staying overnight with them at another relatives. I took her downstairs, no one showed up (naturally). The whole story is growing more and more detailed. She carries on conversations with him (two-sided) proclaiming their love and need to be together. She convinced he is going to take her away and care for her. They even discussed adopting children (in her world). It is of such intense and sudden onset - any inference that it is not true creates instant intense aggression. I keep her hydrated,she is well-noursighed and although on Lexapro (depression), just standard cardiac meds. The problem is that this now creates a safety/flight risk.

My Mom used to insist that there were bugs crawling all over. At first we tried convincing her that there were none, but that would just make her more agitated. Then her doctor advised us to go along with the hallucination. Agree with her and try to "fix" the problem. And that worked. She stayed calm. I would go and grab a bottle of windex, pretend to spray the bugs away, and she immediately felt better.

Maybe if you agree with your Dad that the dogs are away. Do you think your neighbors would agree to check in on him? They could pop over and pretend that they've brought the dogs back after walking them or something. Just anything that will go along with his delusion to help calm him.

Much love to you and your Dad.

Oh, my! This all sounds so familiar! My mother has Lewy Body dementia, is in a nursing home now. (She thinks stuffed animals are real and tries to feed them. I wish I could bring some big beautiful stuffed cats and dogs there for her to hold, and pet, and talk to but such an item would disappear as so many other things I brought her have. :-( They 'run away - more like someone walks off with them!) Mom had a lot of interesting hallucinations when she was still home. She didn't know she was living in her house of 65 years, we had to put up signs and tell her over and over. She had 'visitors' constantly, and insisted my brother was working in 'an office he goes into through the fireplace'. She was on an anti-depressant and none of her hallucinations were very frightening, thank the lord! I'd talk to the parents doctor and make sure he understands the situation.

Our Mom is now in AL(3weeks) Since our Dad's passing 4 years ago, she has been trying to feed our Dad's photo. To her, the photo is really living and she is very distressed that he won't get enough to eat when she can't get the photo out of the frame. Her comments are always the same" it is a well known fact if we don't get enough nutrition our body will die" We remind her of Dad's passing and she says she knows he died but still every day she becomes very upset that he doesn't have enough nutrition. The AL is being asked to make him up a plate of food, or she wants to bring the photo to the dining room and tries to feed the photo.
Any ideas of what might relieve her distress?

The delusions are called "confabulations" and are pretty common in dementia patients. Recently, Mum was crying and anxious because she thought my ex wouldn't let me come visit her at the nursing home. I asked her how she knew this, and she said she heard "them" talking in the hall. "Who, Mum?" "I don't know, I just heard them talking in the hall and they said 'His wife* won't let him visit his mother.'"

Of course that's totally false, but I learned that you don't argue with dementia sufferers, you have to support or at least not dismantle their reality. So I just told Mum not to worry, that I was here now and would see her just about every day. She felt a lot better. Maybe try this sort of thing and then redirect the conversation to a happier topic.

*Mum has no recollection that I'm divorced. It's a pain having to occasionally talk about my ex with her.

My mother is continually looking up on the wall or ceiling to see things. She won't focus on me or what's happening around her. I talk to her, sing to her and tell her oh don't pay attention to that man in a cage; however, she just can't seem to focus on what is in front of her. I did tell her the other night that I made that man go away and that I would protect her. It finally worked after reassuring her for about 15 minutes.

1 2 3