My grandfather wanders away and won't stay at home. What can I do to keep him safe? - AgingCare.com

My grandfather wanders away and won't stay at home. What can I do to keep him safe?

My grandfather wanders away from home. He is no longer allowed to drive, but he hates it and rebels. The problem is we live in Houston and it isn't safe. We have even used all our resources to get him his own apartment, but he is still not satisfied. I have heard of GPS monitored bracelets, but have no idea how to get one.

35

Answers

1 3 4
My dad walked out daily and one day even climbed over the gate when we 'fixed' the auto button. It was very difficult to keep him inside. He would also bring strangers with him into the house. We locked doors, taped up auto locks and pretended to have lost the keys.

I agree with the fact that if he isn't so fond of us GPS Bracelets, there's not much you can do. But that you should still somehow try to convince him as it's easily the best way out. Alerts not only you, but the police as well.

If someone lives with him, install double key deadbolts. He will be unable to get out the door unless he has a key. My husband was a runner. Those locks reduced my stress a lot!

Our local police department comes out to the house and connects a local GPS bracelet to his wrist! Inquire at your county govt. Office on Aging. It was FREE and a wonderful tool for finding your loved one. I also have a "Medic Alert" which is a national registry which can be used anywhere in the USA. Make sure what ever bracelet you get has a trick clasp that the person cannot remove. I had one that he threw away. I paid over $100. for it. What a waste. The Medic Alert has the trick clasp and the GPS bracelet is like a plastic hospital bracelet. The police officer comes out once a month and changes the battery in this bracelet. Of course I waited until he got into trouble before I did this. I didn't realize how bad he was until I let it go too long. My husband ended up in the Shock Trauma unit of a far away hospital on Easter Day and I spend all day looking for him. It was horrible and I was alone driving all over the DC area. He did recover from the fall he took, but his Alzheimer's has been progressing faster since the accident. Don't wait!

Possible Warning on the Implanted tracking devices:
There were reports, fairly early on, of various irritations, cancers, or other health problems caused by the tracking seeds implanted under skin.
This happens with chipped pets, too, not just people.
Some research reported a connection between health problems developing, and the implanted tracking chips / seeds.

VA-POA:
The VA has it's own version of POA's, or Advance Directives. The Clinics or VA Hosp's can provide the forms for people to fill out. There is Legal to help Veterans get paperwork all set up, to satisfy the VA system.

Each Civilian hospital also prefers their own Advance Directives and POA's to be on file, too, is what I was told by many people dealing with it.
It boggled my mind that someone who went to the trouble and expense of hiring legal help to set up their POA's and other necessary documents, that those would potentially be refused by any Docs or Hospitals.

I think he can no longer live alone gosh if mum starts this its a NH for sure!

My neighbor told me there is a company that has developed a new type of tracker that can be injected under the skin. The company is in Florida but he didn't remember the name of it.

My husband has power of attorney but the Veterans Administration doesn't accept it. They told me to contact a veterans organization and they could fill it out for you.

I am working on aid and attendance through the VA now, but am still a little lost on all the paperwork. We just moved him to an independent care facility with personalized living arrangements. He already seems a lot happier. I am still going to try and locate a GPS unit, since I cannot always be there.

Is he a veteran? He can get Aid and Attendance from the Veterans Administration to help pay for a caretaker.

1 3 4