How do I get my mother to let go of some of her stuff, like clothing she will never wear and magazines that haven't seen the light of day in 4 years?

60

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
Yea...same kind of scene here too. She loves having company over now that the remodel is done. I do still hear about different things she used to have though. Mom did not rant and rave. over things being gone..she would just sulk. It would come out in other ways. You are darned if you do and darned if you don't. At least there will be less to do later.

I don't know about you, but at least my hoarding mom was a loving mom!
My mom was such a hoarder, too. She passed away last summer, but I am still dealing with her stuff! When she and my dad were both in the hospital for a few days 2 years ago, us kids were told the house had to be cleaned up for both parents to live there. So, I did it - I went through and cleaned up - 20 truck loads. My mom got out of the hospital before I finished, I didn't have time to sort and save, as we had to rennovate their house, too. It was difficult when mom got home (dad loved the clean house when he saw it) - she cried, she became angry at me, she yelled, she told me I didn't love her, and then some. This went on for about 6 months! Then, she started to laugh (just a little, though) about the situation.
There were a few things that got me through.
First, I didn't trick her - I told her straight out what I did with her stuff and why. She wasn't happy about it, at all! But, I felt better just telling her and I reminded her of what she always told us kids - "I might get mad at you, but I will never stop loving you". Knowing she was mad at me but still loved me was AOK with me!
Second was some patience, I had to really work hard not to get mad, not to yell back, not to say anything at all when she would yell at me about her stuff being discarded.
I went to a "happy place", thought of something else while she was ranting, and then when I knew she was finished, I told her this, "I understand why you are mad, I'm sorry to make you mad, and I love you." Most of the time, she didn't want to hear this, got angrier, walked away. But I said it anyhow and left it at that. Eventually she started to say she was over it, she was ok with what I did, she understood why I did it.
It was hard, but one thing I noticed - while she ranted for 6 months about her stuff being gone, she never seemed to mind the new house! She invited people in to her house to show them the rennovations! And, her house never seemed to get stuff ladened again... crazy, insn't it?!?!

I agree that one should have help with cleaning,making sure things are safe.With my dad I was amazed he didn't get food poisoning,he didn't want to waste anything.The fridge was my main challege-old food.My sister-in-law would come and throw away things that she considered no-good,my job was always to fish the stuff out of the garbage cans and put it back where it belonged.Now I realized her main motavation was to get things she wanted and to look for the will.

I have used the same tactic-saying its "somewhere" but it doesn't work very well. My mother is filled with anger and suspicion about it all. Each thing she thinks of (and she spends a lot of time taking inventory in her mind checking off what she has or had) and then asks about is a conspiracy against her and hers. Heck, she arranges things in "her part" of the pantry so that she will know if I take a can that SHE bought. I hate living like this............

When my grandmother was alive and we, all, had the opportunity to go over to her place and clean--we found receipts from the 1930's and on up. Thank goodness, she lived
on a ground floor apartment. Two of us would stay with my grandmother and distract her in case she heard the window open and close and two or three of us would do the actual eliminating of paper receipts & taking the bags out to the garbage dumpster. We, also, did some actual cleaning. ...but we'd stay over there from early morning--about 10 am to 6 or 7 pm. She was a sweetie, but she was a hoarder.

When my mom got to be where she needed somebody to come in, she wouldn't let us. After she passed away, my son, husband & I went over first and later the other siblings helped clean--but my mother's refrigerator and cupboards were like science experiments. When my MIL went into the nursing home, before she came to live with us, we found lots and lots of expired food cans and even found limburger cheese in the place where she would put her plastic bags. I learned to take expired food cans out of my MIL's house after my mom had died of Diverticulitis. Don't let your relatives tell you 'no' that they don't want you to come in and help clean.

When we cleaned out my grandmothers house, I took bare min. We live in a two bedroom and are cramed. Sorry to say I down sized alot, only really keep pictures, family heirlooms, and keepsake stuff. Whenever she ask I just jokingly say, "who knows, there so much, it's in the garage or somewhere" It usually works pretty good. I still feel a little quilty bout throwing out her things, to me it was junk, but to her TEASURE! maybe it's my quilt but i know she knows what I did.

we bought my Mom's condo when we moved here. She would not have been able to keep it. It had been refinanced and not paid off as it should have been. we now realize her husband proobably had to to keep up with her spending. but she always did want the walls out to open it up. She still complained all the way through..I got so I just ignored her and did what I thought was right. Now she loves it. We need to keep gong and get to the baths and bedroom...but that is a different issue. She needs to move to the smaller bedroom...but I do not see that happening soon. They like the mess I think..it is cozy.

Pirate, I can relate. My Mother hasn't done anything major (and hardly anything minor) in this house in 40 years. Its in a great location, but the eyesore of the neighborhood. Now that the neighbors don't have to deal with her anymore they are all over me, and every little thing I do to improve things she hates and criticizes; she loves living in a dump if only because its the dump she created.....she doesn't even wash her dishes (just rinses them because "hot water is expensive") and I refuse to eat off of them. I have my own.

My mom's house needs a remodel...only till recently did I realize how bad the main bathroom floor has become. Somehow water has gotten under the lame linoeleum floor tiles and the floor is buckled up a bit. I wish my parents did better upgrades but now the house is really showing it's wear. I have to do so much over there. But when I wanted to start real small like a new garage door...the answer was always NO...!

yep

1 2 3 4 5