How do I get my dad to go to a daycare so my mom can go out?

13

Answers

Take him over, introduce him, get him used to the place. Tell him it is for a certain amount of time, then he comes back. Grandpa hated it at first, now enjoys going...

Tell him hes going to a "club", i hear that works.
Or tell him they need volunteers, make sure they know you have told him this, i think they would rather be helping. Always think how you yourself
Would feel cause it could happen to anyone of us.
Good luck always!

If you can't get him out, can you get someone to come in?

I am in the process of getting my mother to go to a "CLUB" so my dad can have some time to do what he likes. My mom was a teaching Nurse for many years so I am planning on telling her she will be volunteering her time to help out. Also my sisters and I will be volunteering so that she will feel comfortable. This is such a hard time for her, and we all know it can be one of us down the road of life. I want to be as gentle as possible for her. I think what helps is remembering that they really are child like. Distraction works great and most times it goes right over their head instead of making them feel worse than they do. Best tip from me though is to be sure not to let them know, if they do something or say something wrong!

Are you in Miami? You may tell him it is a recreational center and the first couple of times have him go with your mom. Once he gets familiarized with the people & the activities then she may start walking out & leaving him there until he feels comfortable to go by himself. If you are in Miami we can help you by bringing them in to our center.It is great.

Same here...He didn't want to go but now looks forward to it. It is getting out, doing activities meeting folks there age and doing somethings during the day other than TV or sleeping...

I agree with what everyone has stated so far. Mom has dementia and at first she didn't want to go. Now she loves it. It took awhile and we just took her. No debate, I stayed with her a bit, we only took her for a few hours at first. She needed to go, it is only 2 days a week, but they help give us a break. It is like taking a kid to daycare. You know what is best, you just need to persist. Good luck.

Nataly and Dotty have GREAT ideas. I fought with myself for the longest time because I felt taking her to a Day Care Center was doing Mom a dis-service. Finally I broke down and did it. Mom was extatic at having visited exclusively with people her own age and almost instantly began calling it her, 'Women's Club'... though several men were present. From that moment no one in my Mom's presence called it a DCC.

Moreover, the staff gave her a 'job' at the center folding towels, napkins, etc. and helping gather the dishes. That gave her a great sense of value. She believed she worked there and even tried to help other 'guests' if they need assistance in the bathroom. (Obviously in her zeal to be of service, the staff had to keep an eye on her being sure she wasn't too much of a help.)

Try both Nataly and Dotty's suggestions. Likely, the staff is already aware they must make an extra effort at making new people feel at home and feel wanted. During the initial private interview with the staff, make your concerns known to them. Who knows that your Dad might grow to not only enjoy, but look forward to going.

Good luck...

V

Good Ideas. firm but gentle pressure. Go with him meet some people, get docs involved...let him know it helps everyone out...

Nataly1 - that's funny you called it the Club. That is exactly what we call our program "The Club" and the clients love it!