We gave my sister money to renovate her house so that mom could live there, but she was evicted after 3 months and my sister used the money to pay her bills. How can we get our money back?

Our eldest sister insisted that Mom live with her, so we chipped in over 5,000 for renovations to make it comfortable...shortly after, we found out my sister has been using my Mom's money to pay her own bills....Mom not aware of this..we started asking questions, so she evicted Mom saying we harassed her...we have the police involved now and my sister will be charged with fraud....we, the siblings want our money back that we invested and give it to our mom...afterall, it was intended for her....how can a person do this to their own Mom? there are 7 kids and six of us have joined together to protect our Mom against our older greedy sister....

19

Answers

Thank you for your response, Ed! It added some levity to an otherwise dire situation. I will certainly keep everyone posted!

MESS:

Take her to Judge J---. Knowing she's going to appear in court -- and TV -- might scare her enough to return the money she had no business spending.

Keep us posted. ... Inquiring minds want to know.

-- Ed

Thanks again for all of your words of wisdom, italianbabs. This has not been easy on the whole family but the one shining light is Mom!

Well then I guess you are justified in what you think and rightfully so. Mom is the most important part of the scenario and it's good that she knows what money she has now. It's hard to watch them being taken advantage of and not knowing the truth about their finances as they trust so much. Go after her then and best of luck. I'm sure Protective Services will help you. :)

Hi italianbabs..thank you for your kind words....we actually were willing to talk to older sister many times and she refused to talk to us until "her affairs were in order" and she refused to take her name off of Mom's accounts..so that made us suspicious...until we saw more than one year's worth of bank statements, we were willing to talk to her to make sure that she and her husband weren't having financial difficulties and all would have been fixed...but her refusal to talk to us and looking at the past 8 years of bank records tells us that Mom was her money train...and the worst part is Mom only thought she had limited funds each month! when we took over and put her as sole owner on her account was she able to see and realize that she does have more than enough each month....Older sister is and always will be spiteful and revengeful..she always has been. So, unfortunately, there is no reason for all of the money being taken...especially since there was no permission given from my Mom. At this time, Mom does not want to speak to or see her and neither do the rest of us...may I add that older sister evicted Mom from her home on April 11(5 days after Mom's birthday) but conveniently withdrew $1,200 just days before....and, never called Mom for Easter, Mother's day or to even check on her...and she accuses us of not loving Mom and caring about her..sorry to ramble on...:) one more point, Mom only lived with older sister for approx. 6 months before getting evicted and was being "charged" $400.00 per month for rent. So, no financial hardship for older sister due to Mom living there.

So glad to help. This website is what helped me and I'm glad to pay back to those in need. God Bless you all and the truth will always prevail. My mom does not speak to my sister anymore and neither do I. She will have to answer to a greater power one day . It's unfortunate that her hard heart will not let her make amends to her mother and spend precious time with her in the last years of her life. Hopefully even though you are all mad at your sister you can find forgiveness in your heart and help her. I've been in your sister's shoes and had to borrow money from my mom when my husband was ill and that is why my sister hid all my mothers money. It was done out of spite and revenge and not the best interest of mom. Please take a hard look at what your sister did. In my case we were on the verge of losing everything and most of all our home and mom lives with us. My sister never gave us a cent for the care of my mother and we just could not survive without mom's financial help during that rough patch. There may be reasons you are unaware of so before you judge, have all the facts. We are all entitled to forgiveness and we are human and make mistakes. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Hi GemG....that may have to happen for sure..especially since all the money we invested in the renos(over $5,000) for our Mom(who was evicted) has upped the value on their home!

Can a lien be put on your sister's house until the debt is repaid?

Oh my goodness, italianbabs! that is exactly what we are doing! :) we are working with a wonderful lady who calls herself a "pitbull" for elders rights and she has been awesome! we have also obtained seven years of bank records and will be pouring over them this weekend. The elder abuse team has only seen one year(last year) so far and they said "theft" right away. After all, my 83 year old, Italian speaking Mom doesn't do internet banking, email money transfers and withdrawals of up to 500.00 at a time...I'll will keep you updated on our progress! thank you so much for your response. It's a great comfort!

Contact your local department of aging and protective services. They will investigate for free on behalf of financial explitation of your mom. Just had them do this with my sister and my mom got her money back. It is worth the phone call to them to see if you have a case. They look through all the bank statments and whatever your sister used the money for. She will have to account for it all. Please don't hesistate as it really does work and don't let you sister take advantage of your mom.