If an elder vet, without wartime, can I get medical assistance at a VA hospital?

77 year old vet, extremely ill with demential - how do I get va assistance with medical

A veteran doesn't have to have had war service. Please call the Veterans Administration (you'll have to go through a menu and be prepared to wait), but you should get some instructions on how to move forward.
Good luck,
That's right, as long as you're a veteran, you don't need to have gone to war to take advantage of what they offer. My dad's ONLY medical coverage is with the Veterans Administration. He is charged by way of 'means' so if you make little money, you'll be charged little money. My mother was buried in the military cemetery since she went before him. But that was provided for by the veterans too, at a fraction of the price because dad was a vet.