stevenseeksone Asked November 2010

If my father doesn't take his medications, he will die. As his son, what can I do to force him?

My father has a sound mind, but has congestive heart failure and refuses to take medication.

22

Answers

1 3
vstefans May 2012
At the hospice where my mom died, they had a bereavement supoprt group and it was mostly widows; I think it helped a lot of them find the value of going on. Maybe that would help your Mom feel like her life could still be worth while and then maybe worth taking medicine. If someone is not taking medicine because it is giving them a side effect they cannot (and maybe SHOULD not) put up with, it is really important to let the doctor know, because there may be a solution like different medicine or something to take it with.

195Austin May 2012
You really can not force them to take their meds all you can do is report it to their doc and let him or her deal with it-sometime it is a game they play for attention -if you have tried and they will not comply-you know you have done all you can and if it results in health problems that is their choice.

Jaye May 2012
I have the same issue with my Mom... she is 85 my Father is in heaven and there is a very real part of her that wants to be there too! I don't believe she is suicidal however she will tell me half of me is gone.It breaks my heart, I really miss my Dad and I understand, but I would like to keep her with me. I do not feel I can force her to take her meds either. I said them up for her I have put little reminders on her cupboard and mirror but she just does not want to. She had a heart attack not two weeks after my Dad passed away she is really on VERY little medication.... I really think she feels she has no value without my Dad... We have really tried I have 5 children and 2 grandchildren and the kids try really hard and are very good to her! take care...

Yolita May 2012
My father has congestive heart failure and has had 2 strokes. He refuses to take his meds. We have tried everything, but he states that it is his choice and his right to refuse medical care as well as taking his meds. I'm stressed out. I don't know what to do. I am his daughter as well as his In Home Provider will I get in trouble for not making him go to the doctor as well as forcing him to take his meds, even though I don't think I can force him. I have tried everything. Yolanda

195Austin Apr 2012
At this point she is not able to take care of herself she needs medicial attention either she has to go to her doc or the ER ask her what she wants to do if none of these then she needs to be placed she is going to die if left alone does she want that-if you have not given up on her you have to be the grownup here.

leximack Apr 2012
My grandmom stopped taking her CHF medication a few months ago and now she's all swollen and short of breath again, Im sure her BP is sky high but she wont go to the hospital. We are trying to get her to take her CHF meds but she refuses - said they make her stomach hurt. I told her I love her and I hate this decision but its her life and I wont waste time (shes about to be 81) arguing with her if her decision is made. Its sad and selfish but shes ALWAYS been my biggest supporter so I wont belittle her for this choice, but I sure am sad.

beadermom Feb 2011
To be honest, even if he is not of sound mind, he still has the right to refuse medications. I found this out while working in homes for the elderly, we could not force them to take any kind of medication if they refused.
Do like chadburbage1 said about talking to him and loving him. It really does no one any good if you turn your back on him or argue with him. All you can do is try,

You overlook the obvious. Even if he does take his medications, he'll still die, sooner or later. If he is qualified to make his own decisions about his health care, they are his decisions. Talk to him. Find out how he feels about his life, and how he feels about death. He might learn something from you, and you might learn something from him. Good Luck, and God Bless You.

JudyC Nov 2010
I would show him the medications you are taking and ask him if he would show you his.

vstefans Nov 2010
I liked chadburges comment too, and want to add just one more thought - it could be that the meds they are trying on him have side effects that make his life not as worth living, like poorer memory, chronic cough, dizziness, headache, etc. See if there is anything else they could try instead if that's the case. The usual CHF meds are beta blockers and ACE inhibitors; if that's what they want to use and he really can't stand them, they could consider digoxin as long as the main thing is trying to make him feel better and have some quality time.

Not knowing how old or how complicated his health really is - is there any chance he would be listed for transplant?

1 3