How do I get my mother back on her feet when she falls onto the floor?

She only weighs about 130lbs but she's dead weight.

27

Answers

1 2 3
I had to leave mom on the floor all night once. I rolled her back and forth to get some blankets under her and we both slep on the floor that night. Than early in the morning I called my brother to come help me get her up. She weighed about 180 than. I got her up a few times when she would help a little but she stopped helping. Thank Goodness she has not been on the floor in over a yr. But we have a lift now and I have used it to get her up off the floor but it has been along time.

i know what u mean - moms weighs 140. i get her to roll over onoto her bottom - sit up - put my fore arms under her arm pits- bend my knees into a squating position - stiffen my arms- and push up with my thighs- amazing - no stress on my back- but i also work out with weights cuz i see that when u get old your muscles need to be excercized. i have a video monitor in her room from babies are us- and a motion detector from radio shack that beeps in my room when she sits up in bed so i can assist her to the bathroom 3-4x a night cuz she fell at my brothers when going to the bathroom and broke her arm- she cant take pain meds.- they made her hallucinate-dont want her to go thru that again- good luck

the lift is just like a tire jack. You put a basket like thing under your love one but roller her side to side. Than hook it to chains and start pumping. The handle looks just like a jack handle. It is great.

stephens...wow thanks for that information...while I was reading the entire blog...I was thinking to myself wow they should make some kind of crank like when you change a tire...and this inflatable chair seems to be the genius of that same concept. Will keep it in mind if I need this in the future. My mom fell down the steps on Sunday (she always running after me checking on me needlessly) and I was at the store getting groceries...she only had mild scrapes on both knees and elbows...she's still pretty tough at this stage. I told her you should use your cane when going down the patio steps.

I had to start calling for help than the doc. ok'd a lift. If it is doc. ordered madicare will pay most of it. Ask the doc.

Mangar makes two products - one's called the CAMEL, the other is called the ELK. Both are inflatable chairs that lift seniors from the floor. Basically, you put the deflated chair under your senior loved one. Next you push the button on the air pump to inflate the chair, and raise your loved one off the floor to a seated position. Their not the most stable chairs during the inflation process, so you will have to hold them while the chair inflates.

My m-i-l falls sometimes and at first I tried to get her up. No such luck--she's dead weight when she falls. I have tried either a chair that I keep next to her bed or the bed itself. If she's responsive, usually she can get herself up from one of those two things.

thank you all for your comments

I have a lift actully two. One I got from the med. supply place which medicare payed for part so it is mine now but broke than hospice gave us one to use. You can get one if the doc. write's it up and medicare will pay a portion. It only cost us $40 a month for a bed , wheelchair and lift for about a yr. or less . now I own all. If you have hospice they will bring you everything you need and you have to pay nothing.

I would recommend checking to see if your local fire deparment or police department offers lift assists. Many of them do and can come out to help. If you mother is falling more than that I would talk to her doctor about it and see what options he/she recommends (and check for any medical problems that might be causing an increase in falls).

1 2 3