RosemaryTedesc Asked September 2010

What can I do to get an elderly person to shower?

1

Answer

JulieQ Sep 2010
Can you make it sort of a special event with a lot of pampering? Have some treats to eat afterwards?

This seems to be an issue for lots of older folks. Do you have enough grab bars so the person doesn't feel like they will fall? Maybe a shower chair and a hand held shower nozzle would help. If you can afford it, consider a CNA to come in. They usually charge around $25 but worth it. You can request male or female ones.

My mother didn't like the shower spray. I think the water spray actually felt like needles on her skin. Currently, I have Hospice coming to do my mom's weekly sponge baths. She cries but we're quick and she doesn't remember it once we're done. She is also getting a spa bath outside the home once a month. She really doesn't like it either but she needs to be clean!

Talk to the person's nurse about your concerns. Skin problems in the elderly such as yeast infections and bedsores can be fatal.