Are there any forms that can just be filled out and filed by me for guardianship over my Mom?

Asked by

Mom has altimerzs and is in a nursing home close to me. I have taken care of her for six years and know her wishes. There are three of us children two of us want me to have guardianship. The other sibling does not have the responsibility to have her best interest at heart. Has spent her check this month on himself left her without clothes at the home.

Answers 1 to 9 of 9
Expert Answer
156 helpful answers
If you can get everyone in your family to agree, it may be possible to "do it yourself" if you are willing to devote the time and attention needed to ask your state court to appoint a guardian. But understand that you'll have to spend hours gathering the information and preparing the forms that the court will needed to consider your requests.

You will need to be in communication with your mother's physicians, and you'll have to obtain the medical / psychiatric certifications that are required by the guardianship laws in your state.

The Probate Courts in my state (Massachusetts) the Probate Court have standardized the process for applying for Guardianship, using forms and checklists that are available online. The court personnel are very helpful, but they can't give out legal advice.

In the end, you may find that hiring an elder law attorney to manage the project for you is a bargain that saves time and lets you focus on your mother's care needs. You should be able to find an attorney to represent you at a reasonable hourly rate. Try the state or national NAELA directory online or your state or county bar association. Ask for a service plan that lists the tasks that the attorney will manage for you.
It's not that simple. Guardianship can be assigned by the courts if your Mom is incapacitated mentally to take care of her affairs. You will need medical proof and there will be a hearing. Search this site for more info on guardianship.
Think about it. Would you want to live in a world where someone could just fill out some paperwork and take over your life?
nightmare, if husband allowed it, he can disallow it. There are no forms you can print and have notarized that you can't undo. She does not have guardianship. That is only assigned by a court. If he agreed to her being POA and he has changed his mind, that is very easy to fix. He can revoke POA at any time. If he still thinks she fell from heaven and doesn't want to revoke that document, well, that is up to him.

But if that was your account too, I think I'd see an elder law attorney.
Contact an elder law attorney as well.
While roaming around the Aging Care website I came across this article about Guardianship, the article is 5 years old, but it will give you ideas on what to do.
my elder care attorney charges $12,000 for guardianship. Is there any other place that I can go to? That is ridiculous.

1. Research to determine if there's a local bar association in Fort Walton Beach, FL. If so, contact them and ask if they have referrals for attorneys who handle guardianship.

2. Do the same for the Florida State Bar Association, checking to see if there's an Elder Law practice area. If so, those would be additional sources of potential law firms to handle guardianship.

3. Research the law firms online; determine how much experience they've had with guardianships, contact them and inquire as to rates, i.e., whether it's a flat fee or time and charges (hourly rate plus costs).

4. You could also contact local law schools to see if they have elder law clinics, which would offer only nominal advice but might have lists of elder law firms you could contact.

I suspect that you were told the firm charges $12,000 either because the attorneys are seasoned and have high hourly rates, and/or because there are extenuating and complicating circumstances, or it is also possible that they just didn't want to handle the case and knew that astronomical quote would discourage you.

But it's not a process of filling out forms and getting appointed. You'll have to go through a court hearing, and if you have siblings or there are others in the family who object to your assuming guardianship, they'll have an opportunity to address their concerns.
I saw where you can print ANY FORM on-line, then go have it notarized with the person, you are wanting to take care of. My Step daughter just did this to my husband.......When he went to VISIT her & her & his son & grand kids.. He got sick, was taken to a hospital, then sent to a nursing home.
My husband set up (OUR) bills to be auto paid each month from 1 credit card. All of a sudden I started to receive emails that a certain payment say for our Home Owners Insurance would not go threw, & I asked them to run it threw again, & it still would not go threw. Then another bill would not go threw, our phone bill.... So I called my husband & mentioned these 2 bills, he told me I must have said something to cause the problem.!!!!! Now, our TV & Internet won't go threw, & my husband after many arguements he decided to call his credit card. He was told his daughter shut his credit card down....
Plus, he has asked her for 3 weeks to bring him his check book & mail I have sent to him, & she will not go to the rest home, she tells him she is busy, and he doesn't remember his checking account # because he opened a new one, because he thought I was (UP TO SOMETHING WITH HIS CREDIT CARD) Doesn't a Doctor have to also sign a POA as he can't find out what DR. sign or if a DR. signed only that it was notarized ? Isn't this mismanagement of funds of the person you are to take care of?? Can't this be reported, & to who? And he always thought this daughter fell from Heaven & did no wrong, but all family members knew different & talked about her. She has made up lies, & called the sheriff & has tried to have me put in jail 3 times with-in 5 years. She has caused so many problems, but this one takes the cake, but husband allowed it. Thank You for any advice, NIGHTMARE

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support