I am tired of doing all this alone. I am a single 50-year-old women. Where can I find a support group of caregivers my age?

36

Answers

1 2 3 4
My friend, an RN who has cared for both mother-in-law and father-in-law, told me that if the person you are caring for is "homebound" that Medicare will pay for in home care and respite visits to give the caregiver time away. I'm sure there are qualifications so I'm going to research it. Maybe it's an idea for you too?

Dear Sun, Have you checked your local hospitals, Area Agency on Aging, the local Senior Citizens Council, or local Adult Day Cares to seek out a support group. If you don't find one, I have no doubt there are many other caregivers in your community that have similar feelings. Would you consider starting the support group yourself. It would be a good way to network with other caregivers providing some respite care for each other. I pray all goes well :)

hi Sun....I'm 55, does that help....this is a great support network and what;s nice is that you can access it 24/7 and not have to wait for the monthly meeting!!!

I went to the Alzheimer's Support Group yesterday and took Mom with me because they had activities for her while I was in the meeting. It's good to talk to others doing the caregiving because you realize that everyone's situation is different and sometimes the things you're dealing with seem easier in comparison. Mom enjoyed her time although she did worry about where I was and was very happy to see me when the group was over. I did get a few suggestions for in home care so I'll have to start investigating to see what we can do. Just knowing that I can have one weekend a month away while Mom is safe and cared for will be great - I just have to find the right person to do that for me.

I understand your frustration. I've been caring for my mother for eleven years now and there are times I feel as you do. My support group consists of my two dogs, three reef aquariums, hundreds of books, bonsai trees, etc (hobbies are good stress relievers). At the moment, I have no one here to help me but I do stay in contact with my son weekly. The only thing I could possible say to you is that you're not alone and try not to feel guilty because you feel the way you do.

I feel the same way, tired of doing this alone. I'm caring for my Mom with Dementia. I might try the lunch program at our senior center, just to get out and mingle with others. It's getting hard to go to a resturant or even to visit someone in their home. She doesn't talk any more, so I'm here talking to myself all day. I have to do something ..soon!

This is a very tough disease. You need to find a way to have time for yourself at the same making sure your loved one is being taken care of.

Girl you have all the luck you can get from me....I have been going thru this for 9 months. No break in sight. I have no family except my daughter and she lives with me.....So girl take advantage of all the times you can have to yourself...Those are far and few between....Hugs to you....Sharon

sumlerc, you might be surprised how many people in your church are also care taking, or at least have experience with taking care of the elderly. I would ask around there too.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'm not much of a group person but I've recently joined church and still feel the need for specific support such as Elder support, Caregiver support, Stroke survivor support. Let us know how things progress for you...I'm encouraged most times when I read other's post on this website. Give yourself a hug, you deserve it!

1 2 3 4