When should family consider a higher level of care?

My mother has dementia and is becoming more and more "confused". She is forgetting to change her clothes, bath and now eat. We do have a caretaker visiting twice a week but she has not been able to get my Mother to change her clothes or bathe. Should we be considering a higher level of care?

When is it considered abusive to leave her alone?

I believe that she needs Assisted Living care. The functions of daily life are : eating, bathing, ambulation, feeding oneself, and using the toilet by oneself.
from personal experience, I would say a higher level of care is needed when a person cannot function by themself, or becomes a threat to themselves or others. you dont give much details, but Im guessing theres praobably more than hre just forgetting to bathe and eat. She might not want to stand naked in front of the caregiver, and if she doesnt know or trust them may think they are poisoning her food. what does she have to say bout it ?
does your Mom live alone? does she take care of her own finances ? If your questioning if its ok to leave her home alone, then she probably shouldnt be home alone...
Based on what you are saying, it sounds like AL with a memory care program should be considered. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
I thought a person with dementia could not go into an assisted living facility? I was told that they needed to go to a nursing home?
I am wondering the same thing. My mom can't cook or make anything to eat or a cup of hot tea anymore. So everying thinks that is the time to make the transition? I can't get over my guilt so how do you get past that? I love this website. You can get any question answered and you don't even have to ask the question as someone is always thinking the same way you are. Thanks caregivers! You are all the best......
I recommend you take a day and visit the assisted living facilities in your area, There are so many more options and levels of care than I realized were available. Some are specifically set up for people with memory loss, some are attached to hospitals, some have a nursing home in one wing that patients can go to when they are ill or fall and then return to their private rooms when the recover, all had activities scheduled daily and physical therapy rooms. Of course assisted living can be expensive and cost go up the more assistance one needs, but some places set aside a few low income slots. Check them out, I now know which one I'm checking into someday! Best Wishes.
I elected to get full time care, live in , one person 5 days a week and one person for the weekends. It might be appropriate to see a neurologist and possibly get mom on something like Aricept and Namenda. Your mom needs to find someone she can trust, and a live in would help with all of that, as opposed to assisted living. Also, see an elder care attorney to get her finances in order to protect what she has since she may require state assistance for home care. and eventually nursing home care. In my state, there is only a 3 month look back period to apply for medicaid long term home care. It may not be the time to transfer her yet if you want to pursue other means of keeping her safe and in her home. You could also hire someone for 12 hours each day for meals, meds and getting ready for bed, but your mom will eventually need 24hours. This can be very costly, but I advertised in the newspaper for someone with my mom's ehtnic heritage and just asked for a companion, health aide at first. You can pay them $10-12 per hour per day, but this will require lots of supervision on your part and that has to be considered. See a neurologist and a lawyer to look at medical needs and financial asset preservation . Good luck
People with dementia can go into a memory care unit at some AL facilities, but really don't qualify for regular AL. AND, if she can't cook or bathe or evn know to change her clothes (and consider fear of slipping, and cold as two other reasons for being against bathing), she needs daily help.
Babs, guilt about what, exactly? That she is getting older? That you can't stop it? I found both those things at the root of the guilt I was feeling. But when I saw what it was, I could let THAT part go, some. Investigate what's behind the guilt and see if it makes sense, or is based on unconscious assumptions about what is even fixable.
There are assisted living places that are geared just for the care of dementia/alzhemiers people. My brother and I are at the point were we need to make that decision for our mom. Our doctor said that often times people with dementia/alzhemiers improve when they are placed as they have a schedule, regular meals and social interaction.
JaneB. Just guilt about not being able to keep her in my home any longer and I promised I would never do that. It is impacting my marriage and my family life as her dementia increases and I can't leave the house too much. I work all day and feel guilty as she sits there all day long and she pees the bed and can't cook for herself. We watch her on cameras for her safety during the day. I don't trust people coming into my home while I'm at work to give her assistance although she needs it. I have visited numerous facilities and in my heart I know that this may be better for her. She will have people around, her family that we don't speak with can go visit her and I just think it would be in her best interest. I know what I want to do and what she needs but my heart aches to take her away from her "home" and her family. How do I get past that and not cry everytime I think about it? She is having surgery Saturday so we may be able to take this opportunity to put her in AL after she goes for physical therapy and it will make it an easier transition since she will think it's related to her arm therapy. I guess the social workers will advise us on the best plan for mom.