Does anyone have an elderly parent with bedbugs?

My father is infested and does not seem to care....he came for Easter dinner and had bugs on his clothes....He didn't care a bit that he was bringing them to someone else's home. He is covered in bites. I'm taking him to the doctor today.

25

Answers

1 2 3
I am a social worker and the only help I have found for people on fixed incomes is contacting Adult Protective Services. They will spray and even put the person in a motel while it is being done.

My mother's house is badly infested with bed bugs. There is no more furniture beds. She is 83 years old and on a fixed income she cannot afford a exterminator. Is there a program for seniors that have grants for this kind of situation?

I do and am not sure what to do either , what was the outcome of this situation?

This generation is growing at a faster rate than the total population in almost all regions of the world. In senior settings bed bugs often go unnoticed for longer periods of time because of several reasons:
• Failing eye sight
• Dementia/mental decline
• Depression
• Physical handicaps
Bed bugs can build up to infestation numbers when quarterly inspections are not done leading to the senior being used as constant blood meals by the bed bugs.
Anemia is a common condition. It occurs in all age, racial, and ethnic groups. Both men and women can have anemia. However, in senior settings bed bugs can cause more than anemia and can lead to more physical problems including strokes and heart problems.
Elderly communities need to have their dwellings checked often for bed bugs for more than just keeping up against infestations.

Visit OnContactSolutions. They have an EPA 25 B Exempt Non-Toxic Solution that has a year long residual. Will effectively remove the problem and PREVENT it from coming back. These pests are spread very easily from neighbors and guests. This is the only way to ensure the problem will go away and stay away.

a vaccum cleaner doesnt work well on bed bugs. they hide in crevices where the vaccum wont reach. take a simple playing card. any crack in wall trim, baseboard, bed frames that the playing card will slide into needs caulked. i cant stress enough, the heat treatment is the most costly tx and doesnt work. dust kills the adults, wintergreen alcohol kills hatchlings and adults on contact. dont throw your bed out, buy good covers from pestmall. you dont want wal marts crap that will rip in 3 months. i wish i had a dollar from every person who told me id never eliminate them on my own.

thank the Lord we don't have any pets. We have waiting on his pension check the first before we can purchase any more bed bug products. We threw his farely new bed out because it had become infested with these bugs. Wouldn't u know it. Because like most elderly people, he is too frugal to invest in a vaccuum. I am so tired of watching him scratch in his recliner. Its heartbreaking. I am encouraged to have other caregiver to tell my troubles to. Thanks for your suggestions and concern. you will never know how much this means to me.

If he has no pets,there are inexpensive things to do to prevent them from spreading.Frequent vacuuming,encasing mattresses in vinyl zippered covers and sprinkling diacemetous earth(bed bug powder)all around the perimeter of the apartment and under the bed,should help somewhat.

I have been encouraged by all of the advice in regards to the bed bug epidemic. The elderly man I take care of is starting to become senile. we both have been up all night trying to find a comfortable place to sleep. I have been up for weeks trying to listen out for him siitng in his recliner in the front room. I am a heavy set woman and my legs are worn out. He is 88 years old and need total assistance. We are trying to come up with resources to afford the heat option to get this situation under control. It will put him behind with his bills but the alternative wi'll be devastating.He is just a few months out of bankruptcy. I can't imagine having to throw anything else away. We are barely surviving now. I am trying to hang on but I have some family support. 6 years is a long time to take care of someone with little money to spare. thanks for listening.

Any idea of where they came from in the first place? Seems to me it'd be a huge pain to get rid of them at his house only to have them re-infest the place. If it seems like he might need to move to AL in the next few years this might the perfect excuse to try one out (though they wouldn't let him bring any of his stuff, of course!).

1 2 3