It's been 3 years since my elderly mother let me wash her hair. I can’t take the smell anymore, what can I do to get her to wash it?

It has been 3 years since my elderly mother let me wash her hair, she keeps it pinned up and it stinks and her head has cacked up oil and debre. She also refuses help with bathing. I'm afraid she will get an infection of the scalp. what can i do, wh do I turn to for help. My mother is very stubborn. What if she gets real sick? Will me and my sister be liable even if we have tried to care for her? what can we do?

25

Answers

1 2 3
You know, it has to hurt having the hair, sebum, dander, you get my drift. It has to hurt trying to remove it. I would get advice at Sally's Supply, or a place similar. Or like someone earlier in this thread, but years ago, is a beauty operator and gave specific details on how to go about taking the "cradle cap"....................
I am FORTUNATE, my mom bathes and washes her hair religiously. She is 91, dementia, but she does not forget about her hair.
I cut it about every 6 weeks, and curl it, and make her up. SHe loves it.
She does wear a wig to go up-town, or to church, and I make sure that wig is in perfect condition. She has forgotten how to wash and etc. the wig.
Mom has been pretty clean all her life, but her sister was not. My aunt went for weeks / months without bathing, bla bla, she had dementia and a broken hip. It was tough. She did not care one bit.
The elderly have a "smell", and I learned about it here on this site. Mom has no smell at all.
Like I said, I am fortunate, because imagine: Clingy and Stinky?????? No Way!

M88

There is a cap you can get at Walgreens, you warm it in the microwave and put the cap over her head and move it around. It activates a shampoo that doesn't have to be rinsed out and depending on how long you are able to 'scrub'.. does a good job of cleaning. You might try that after loosening all the scalp crud with tea tree oil.

Thank you for posting. I know how devastating it is when you elderly parent won't allow you to help her by helping with her hygiene. My mom tells me that she knows how to look after herself and that she already washed her hair etc. She has dementia and it is breaking my heart to feel so helpless to assist her.

The shampoo board I mentioned earlier was the answer for us. The hospice folks have them, but they can be bought online too. I realize now I can't post the website but if someone needs that info msg me and I can provide it. Of course as mentioned previously, Mama is totally bedfast...

My grandmother is almost 99 and is legally blind. She only allows me to wash her hair every 2 weeks. In between she puts it in pin curls every night and sleeps on them but when she takes them out, she tries (but isn't successful) to pick it out for some volume. It really looks bad and she won't listen to me or let me help her. Any suggestions?

Well, I see the websites I posted did not remain so I am assuming we cannot post those. If anyone needs that send me a note in my messages and I will figure out how to get it to you. :)

Can you talk her into a "spa day"? Maybe get her hair done and a facial or nails? The beauty schools offer these services if money is tight. Heck I have had a facial there and it was pretty darn good! If she is bedridden maybe you could do it for her? Hair first, then getting pretty!

OK..that seems to work...the item there on the left corner...$35.31....

OK... I don't think that worked...ugh...let me try again.....

I don't know if it's ok to list websites on here so if not I apologize in advance, but here is the site to the exact hair washing appliance the home health folks use...it is super easy to use, to clean and makes it simple to keep elderly folks hair washed and rinsed...maybe this would help...again..my Mama never says she wants it done. I will just say OK, then proceed to do it. She seems to enjoy it actually. :) good luck. here's the site

1 2 3