Do elderly always have bad feet?

My 88 year old father was recently in the ER and I saw that his toenails looked horrible, thick and yellow. But even worse was when I took my 93 year old mother to see her doctor and her toenails were really long, the large nails were also thick and discolored and the skin around her toes looked very flaky. Frankly, it was gross and I was shocked. The doctor said he sees this all the time. I know my dad was taking my mom to see a podiatrist, but he's had shingles for several months and I'm just now finding out a lot of things they've kept pretty well hidden.

Besides the fact that I want to take care of my parents (they are going into a wonderful assisted living facility this weekend), I'm wondering if horrible looking feet is an inevitable part of aging. My husband and I don't have children and we are seeing how important it is to take care of ourselves! We're trying to learn from my parents and take care of ourselves.

39

Answers

1 2 3 4
I'm glad because one thing I noticed with my mom is she didn't have many interests. She was a visiting nurse and did really well while she was working, but once she retired, I think things started to go. She was always shy so stuck within her comfort zone and mostly associated with a couple of ladies from church. Otherwise, she liked to read and spend time alone, it seemed.

My dad has always been outgoing, with lots of friends and activities. He'll be 88 next month and has done quite well until recently. He's been a little more confused recently because of medication, but I can still have a decent conversation with him.

I wanted to add that I'm also into photography and I'm a colored pencil artist. I just submitted a drawing of my horse to a competition. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, although I guess in a way I am. But as I've mentioned, I turned 60 this year and I'm happy that I have so many interests and activities I'm able to do.

I notice that I have more aches and pains now, but I can still do the things I love. Warm-up time is just a bit slower! And one last thing (sorry). I feel extremely fortunate to have my horses. I've been really stressed over my parents and tired, but yesterday I took my horse to some gorgeous wooded trails and rode bareback for an hour and a half. I met one person walking her dog, but most of the ride was just me, my horse and nature. I'm truly blessed.

theirdaughter, Good for you! Thanks for sharing this good self-care report, it is an inspiration to me!

I have to laugh at all the responses I got to this! I'll tell you what, this is making me really think about how I'm taking care of myself NOW so I, hopefully, don't have quite so many problems later on. I do Pilates and exercise regularly using the treadmill or the elliptical. I ride my horses and am learning dressage. I use sunscreen and my latest is making sure I moisturize my feet! Oh and there's the glass of red wine and getting enough sleep!!!

I meant and how much you eat of it. Is it good or bad?

Na its all a part of what you eat! And what you eat. And then some.... I cant tell you for a small fee

Thanks Grace, I know you're right.

It's only disturbing if we allow it to be disturbing. I do remember the first time I looked in a mirror (at a department store trying on a necklace with BRIGHT overhead lights and a mirror tilted just so...) and saw MY MOTHER'S NECK! It was a shock! And I did let it disturb me for a minute...but not for long. That was probably 15 years ago or maybe even more....Now when I see reflections of my mother in the mirror, I'm okay with that. I could do much worse! ;)

Oh I'm half joking about my neck. I always had a great jawline and at 60, it's started sagging and in general I'm losing skin elasticity all over my body! I know it's part of aging, but it's still disturbing!!!

Your question seems to assume that wrinkling or "crepey" necks, which I believe is part of normal aging, is bad. Personally, I celebrate my wrinkles and gray hair and crepey neck. I have earned the wrinkles and the gray hair. I have survived much and am a better/wiser/stronger/softer person for it. I do not try to prevent wrinkles or cover my gray. I wear them proudly. Very different from toe-nail fungus.

What about your neck? Whats wrong ? Is it the same thing if it is then same answer I given.

1 2 3 4