stablehelp Asked October 2010

How can I get my 91-year-old mother to go to the podiatrist to get her toenails cut?

20

Answers

mary111 Aug 2015
I would be careful here. Does she have diabetes? Many diabetics develop nail and other fungal issues. In which case use only a podiatrist!! I also agree with a poster...older folks have suppressed immune systems and I even know a friend that got MRSA from a salon!!! She was 27 and almost lost a foot! Get the podiatrist to the home. PS I'm an RN and deal with this a lot!

Danashel Aug 2014
I may have been very lucky, but here in NJ a podiatrist came to Mom's home. Mom had diabetes, and those horrifying gnarly toes you talk about. I hear ya. I was afraid to let anyone but a podiatrist work on them.

Katy315 Jul 2014
I soaked my mother inlaw's feet in warm water with epsom salt for about 20 minutes, and washed her feet gently with a wash cloth. Blotted them dry and gently toe by toe removed build up from beneath each nail, trimmed with clippers. She had one big toe nail that looked like it was going to fall off, but as I cleared all the build up of gunk I was now able to cut the nail way back. After I finished all nails of both feet I massaged neosporean cream on toes and feet. Her feet look amazing! And she feels so good now. I will now continue watching her foot health and mark my calendar.

No matter if they hate it, it has to be done and kept up with.They must hurt to walk. If you can get to a specialist I would ask his doctor for a klonopin for him, and he should sleep through it, then keep filing them to keep up with it, Poor guy:0(

Eyerishlass Mar 2014
If someone does not have dementia and says "Do not cut my toenails" yet they are growing up and around to the sole of his foot there is nothing you can do about it. If the toenails don't bother him don't let it bother you. If he starts to have problems and/or pain hopefully he'll let you know.

mrogers1428 Mar 2014
I use a visiting podiatrist for my sister and medicare pays for it. I'm in Austin, TX, but other cities may have this service also.

Mackenzie Mar 2014
My gfather is 96 years old and is actually healthy with only taking 2 pills a day. Eye vitamin and one for his prostrate. Anyways, with my gmom recently passing away he moved into my mother's house. Well, about 6 months after living there my mom happen to walk in on him while in the process of dressing,. He has always for years and years..gets completely dressed shoes and ALL before leaving his room. Well this particular morning my mom seen him without shoes and socks. To her HORROR she seen his toes and no LIE each nail was over 2 or 3 inches long and some even grown over and around to his sole. He refuses to go to the doctor, will not let anyone touch them, we called an ambulance because they have gotten so bad since that day we thought finally we could rid of the problem. He refused to get on the stretcher, its against Tennessee law to force someone on it we were informed by the EMT that day, OMG right!!!! We ask the local doctor who is a friend and podiatrist to come to the house and do it, he did. My gfather said "do not touch me" guess what? The doctor cant then. It's against the law for a doctor to touch a patient that said NO. My gdad is 96 and in good mind so we cant say he has any mental/memory problems. He is basically walking on his toenails that are grown into the soles of his feet. Will someone PLEASE give me some advice...

Thanks
Mackenzie

patrica61 Oct 2010
In todays world a person who does manicures and pedicurers needs to have a license. Insurance does pick the care of the person going to a special foot doctor witha family doctors note. You should be with her when ever she needs to go to a special doctor so you know what is going on.dementia is a serious illness. It does not get any better.

patrica61 Oct 2010
if your mom if covered by medicare she should have the coverage to go to a special foot docotor. in most states and cities there are programs that are set up to pick up the person and a relative free of charge and take you to the doctor. check in to this a diabetic foot care is very important. And also the porper shoes are ovverred by medicare .

ange30 Oct 2010
My mother is 80. I took her couple of times to get her nails cut. But sometimes we don't have the extra money to go to the doctor so I do it myself. And believe me I am not a fan at looking at people's toes, especially long ones. But what I do that makes it easy is soak the feet for 30min and they are soft and east to cut...I also have to be careful because she is diabetic. But I find that once I soak them it's soo easy to cut the nails....
andrea