I have durable power of attorney of my mom who has Parkinson's & memory loss. Can she revoke my POA?

Asked by

She signed a piece of paper revoking my POA and had it notarized, I don't think it is a legal document because it is not witnessed. My brother and family had her to change her bank account to put my brother on it and remove me. She has good days and bad days. She knows that she made a mistake but trying to get her to change everything back on a good day is hard. I don't have the money to fight for her to protect her and if I try to go to court they will contest.

Answers 1 to 5 of 5
If she is competent she can. You should be notified that your duty as POA has been revoked. It may or may not have had to be witnessed, but the notary has some responsibility to note if she is be pushed into doing this and is competent. As a former notary, it is hard to determine this especially if the elderly parent is with a child. Looks as if your brother has some explaining to do.

As for guardianship, she would have to be ruled incompetent by the courts. This all takes money and your brother would have to fork over money to fight you. Then in the end a judge may see the sibling fighting and rule for an outsider to control her money.

Good luck to you. Maybe a honest talk with your brother would help.
I was sent a copy of Revocation of POA but I feel bad because I know what my mothers wishes were since the original POA and I have been the one taking care of her for the past 4 years. My brother does not talk to me and the family has sided with him to keep her in assisted living until all her money is gone and then move her to a nursing home. These were not her wishes. I feel like i am out numbered and if there is a court hearing, they would win. I believe they are waiting for her to get evaluated so they can petition for guardianship.
my mother takes care of my grand mother and has for the last 3 yrs all needs.... my uncle has poa ... he does not even so much as visit my granny, or call.. he just wants to spend her money in her account how would my mother get the poa changed ?
The person who is the caregiver should have POA, both financial & medical. If your mom//grandmother is not competent you can petition to be the guardian. This has to be done through an attorney.
Your grandmom can sign a written paper revoking your uncle's POA and get it notarized and witness. Then he mustbbe served a copy of it by anyone or just bmailed a certified copy of receipt. Then she can type a new POA for your mom and follow the same procedure.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support