tjgirl713 Asked October 2011

My father is ready for assisted living but has a g-tube, he's not ready for a nursing home. What are his options?

My father needs the social life and activities assisted living can provide but apparently isn't able to move to assisted living because of the licensing restrictions involving his g-tube. Are there any other options?

12

Answers

chdottir Dec 9, 2017
We had help finding our AL for our Mom using a social worker that works for a firm that helps find matches. And the facilities pay their fees. Maybe if you found someone like that they might be able to know the options for your area. Our social worker was extremely helpful in knowing what was available, and the pros and cons of the places. Ours was a local company, rather than a site like A Place for mom.

Perplexed2017 Dec 9, 2017
Would like to find a “community” in GA, Atlanta where the feeding tube is accepted for residency....AssistedLiving!
Thank you for input!
December 2017
Perplexed...

DMAALF Nov 1, 2017
State regulations differ from State to State for Assisted Living licensing/operations. Virginia has one of the toughest assisted living regulations. Where as any individual who has a peg-line and can self manage will still not be accepted. There would/will be a time when they can no longer manage and will require assistance. It's with this that the individuals will only be accepted into a SNF (Skill Nursing Facility) Because, the State does not require a RN, LPN on staff for VA ALF's, and even though most ALF's in VA will have a registered nurse, there may be a shift one is not on staff. And it's for this reason ALF's can not accept individuals with peg-lines, respirators, IV's etc.. Those are invasive care needs and if something goes afoul, then only a registered nurse is able to handle. The only difference between ALF's and SNF's is that SNF's are required to have on staff 24x7 a registered nurse (for those special care needs)...ALF's will have staff 24x7, but the RN/LPN may not be working a shift.

It's unfortunate that some individuals would benefit from an assisted living community, however due to "equipment" they can not be care for or accepted into the community.

Director of an Assisted Living Facility

Senorita May 2016
I had the same problem but one Board and Care home told me in January the law changed and they would take him. Turned out he went into the hospital so I didn't follow up on it. It's possible they were just going to take him regardless of the law but I don't know about that. (I'm in California and maybe it is also a state thing?) Anyway, you could check with a few more homes and see if they all say the same.

lourox Nov 2011
Thank you, I will look into the VA Aid and Attendance benefit.

Soverytired Nov 2011
I don't have actual experience with this. But I understand that independent senior residential communities are not subject to the same regulations as assisted living facilities. Independent living facilities cannot evict for health status, they are subject to the same laws as apartments so they could evict for non payment of rent or for the potential of harm to other residents but not for a g-tube. Assisted living, on the other hand, is subject to different licensing requirements and so have certain health conditions (often including G tubes) that they can and sometimes must evict for. So you might call some senior independent living facilities in your area. Many serve 3 meals a day, offer social activities and also have arrangements with local home health care agencies that provide one on one care just like the elder would have in their own home, at slightly reduced rates. Also, in just calling around looking for options for my mother, I have found much more willingness to accept Medicaid waiver payments from independent living facilities than from assisted living facilities (at least the corporate owned ones). If your dad is a veteran, they will also accept the Aid and Attendance benefit and some also accept Section 8 housing benefits. Section 8 is hard to qualify for, waiting lists are long. Good luck.

lourox Nov 2011
Hello, I was reading your question about your father wanting to live in assisted living and Title 22 licensing being a problem with PEG feedings. My father is in that situation now. He can feed himself as well. Have you been able to place your father in an ALF yet?

NancyH Oct 2011
What about adult foster care?

tjgirl713 Oct 2011
Thank you Jeanne, I will!

jeannegibbs Oct 2011
While you are checking, if that say they can't do it, also ask if they have any other ideas of what you can consider.