Why is my mom over-eating?

Pirate, I am here. My mom has been eating, eating and eating....cookies, munchies....stuffing them in her pockets, eating in the middle of the street, in the car. Anybody out there know why? Her sugar level is ok. Crumbs are all over the house, her bags, her rollator.....

Another thing-she eats food with her hands sometimes. Ick.

I have other icky things but that's just a start. Thanks for letting me vent, folks.

17

Answers

It might be the taste of food has dimished and they hope somethings taste good again ot they could be hungery

Ha! And try to get them to exercise the least little bit! It is almost impossible to keep my mother's weight down if she doesn't even want to get up and go to the kitchen for a glass of water for herself. Although I have caught her moving around quite nicely when she didn't expect me to come home. :)

I am so glad someone brought this topic up ... my Mom eats all the time, or WANTS to eat all the time. She will finish a huge breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast) and 1/2 hr later ask me if we ate breakfast yet? She begs for food all day long everyday. I give her 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks and there are 20 begs for food in between. It really amazes me how much better I feel when I know others are going through the same thing. (I wonder why that is???) My mom came in June at 144 lbs and she now weighs 161 lbs. I am trying to cut out the sweets.

Several years ago I remember sharing with friends at church about our children and their habits and quirks and such and now find myself on one hand chuckling along with my daughter about our little grandbaby's habits...and trying to figure out my mother who seems to have new habits to learn to deal with and conquer as the weeks go by. My mother is at an A.L. so it is a little easeir to control her eating habits. I take my mother out of the facility for her beauty shop appt and this gives me an hour to leave her there and go back to the A.L to replace her "products" (Depends and such), and I can have an opportunity to go through her items that she has bought on the Friday A.L. outings, and replace them with healthier items (like replacing a Hershey bar with a Granola bar). When we are on outings I find myself trying to resist her impulsive shopping inquiries (by disengaging in the conversation and redirecting, often). I have needed to firmly take the chocolate bars out of the grocery cart and finding healthy alternatives. (I.E. a bag of prunes,
or dates that I know she will enjoy). If my mother eats too much chocolate she gets constipation and that can be a major problem.We have had to go to the ER 4 times in the last 8 months. She now refuses to eat any of her vegetables at the A.L. and that can add to her difficulties as well. Fortunately the Emeritus will "hide the vegies" in their gravies and sauces and such. What a comfort it is to have this site! I agree w/Patricia--It is good to know we are not alone in this and can glean from other's responses.

My mother is the same way. She always said she didn’t want to be heavy like my grandmother was so that when she needed help she wouldn’t be a problem to move because of weight. But when I remind her of that she says now she doesn’t care. She’s 83 with memory loss from hydrocephalus. Her reasoning has deteriorated as well. So yes – pie, ice cream, sour cream, jelly. I keep meaning to make a copy of one of her “shopping lists” as they are just a list of desserts.
I discovered she was eating a 12 oz jar of strawberry jam in less than a week. Once day caught her buttering her toast, cutting the butter in slices like cheese! Drives me crazy and although I can’t always keep my mouth shut I try because all it does is start an argument. I now buy no sugar added jam and only put out a small amount of butter at a time. And her area around her chair is something! The crumbs and spills – yikes. Anyway – you aren’t alone.

No you people are not alone. My mother in law eats a meal every two hours. One, she forgets that she has eaten and two, I think she is board. If she is not sleeping she is eating. I quit buying cookies and candy but there is no stopping her in the fridge.

PatriciaAS, I'm sorry about your husband's condition...you need resources to assist you with your husband's care, so you don't crack under the pressure. Does someone care for your husband while you're away from home? It's good that you're able to leave the house, and carry on with your daily routine. My mom's dementia is Alzheimer's related, and it became so severe that she was no longer capable of living alone. On a few occasions, she nearly set her apartment on fire. She used to pour water into a vase with artificial flowers, and she kept dishwashing liquid in the fridge, believing it was a beverage. Mom was always very clean, and took pride in her appearance before the onset of dementia. However, throughout the late stages of the illness, she refused to bathe and wore the same outfit several times a week. I'm glad that you're able to get support on the forum here. My thoughts are with you. ((Hugs))

1dayatatime, I can relate to your experience because mom always accused us of trying to take her belongings, however she walked around with an open purse allowing strangers to see her money. The irony is that she trusted the wrong kind of people who took advantage of her, and refused help from those who loved her. I tried many times warning her about predators, but she became verbally abusive. I was hurt and frustrated, knowing that we couldn't protect her every single moment. I asked God for guidance and strength....and he answered my prayers. I also had to remember that the "mean spirited" woman was not mom....it was Alzheimer's.

Has anyone had the experience with their mother being obsessed with her purse? My Mom used to hide her purse or take things out of it and accused me of coming into her bedroom at night going through her purse and taking her things out or moving her things around in her wallet. Everymorning when we would be on our way to adult day care, she would have to look for her purse or go through it to see what I had taken out of it. Now it's just the opposite - she does not want to carry her purse because she says there is nothing it because we have taken everything.

Lori

I believe the eating is also a part of depression - My Mom can be in a terrible mood and if we go out to the store (Walmart or Dollar Store is her favorite! ) she always heads for the munchie aisles (cookies, candies, snacks). Usually she perks up after having one of these snacks. She hides them in her room, in her clothes, in coat pockets - anywhere she can and when you discover them she says she did not put them there. Also, because we monitor her blood sugar on a regular basis because she is diabetic, occasionally it will be a little high in the morning because she has been eating her candies or cookies in the middle of the night - proof is in the bed (wrappers or crumbs).

ginger61. I think you are right. Dementia, which my husband has. He also has COPD, and glucoma. You are also correct in having a support system. I do not have anyone except for this forum and another one. I can't even get away for a couple of hours as hard as I try. I did go to the optometrist yesterday and then did some shopping. I was gone a total of 6 hrs. I called my husband to let him know I was at Walmart. I received two calls from him wanting to know where I was. Told him I was shopping and would be home soon. He calls one more time and says "is this Patricia?" I assured him it was me. He proceeds to tell me to get out of bed with my lover and come home. DUH? I came home with his candy bar that he wanted. Also, he wanted me home as he wanted to take a nap. I don't know why I had to be home? Acted as if all was OK and helped me bring in the groceries. Never did say thank you but that is OK. I did ignore that. Oh, his appetite comes and goes too. I just hate this disease. I watched the Larry King Special Sunday night about Alzheimers. Quite interesting. If you missed it it is supposed to be on again this next Sat. or Sun. Thanks for letting me vent about yesterday. It still hurts even tho I have let it go.

Patricia