My mother has a bladder infection, how do I address this?

My mother is 92. She has a bladder infection and has been out of her mind. I didn't realize that was a problem for older people. I wanted to know how long it will take for her to be normal again or if she ever will be? This has been a very difficult experience and I wondered if anyone out there had any advice about her care. She isn't sick enough for medicard to pay for nursing home and I had to take vacation to watch her.

18

Answers

Anali, If you read this entire thread, you will get some answers, as well as links to two articles on the subject.

Do you think they keep her clean enough in the NH?

My mother just turned 99. She had a bladder infection back in May, she lost her balance, felt down and broke her right arm. She went from the hospital to a nursing facility. She's been there recovering from her UTI and her broken arm. Just when I was getting ready to bring her home, she developed another UTI and has been out of her mind for 10 days. I didn't realize that was a problem for older people. I wanted to know how long it will take for her to be normal again or if she ever will be? I've never seen her like that before, she hallucinates and talks to people that she claims are in her room. This has been a very difficult experience and I wondered if anyone out there had any advice about how to ask the right questions and what to expect from the nursing facility? Thanks, Anali

What is AZO andTMP-SMZ?

AZO is the name of a over-the-counter drug used for irritable bladder. TMP-SMZ is trimethoprin sulfamethoxazole. It is a common antibiotic used to treat things like urinary and respiratory infections. It can be sold as generic or in name brand forms like Bactrim or Septra.

What is AZO andTMP-SMZ?

My mother had a minor bladder infection at the start of the summer after she started taking Aricept. It was a crazy couple of weeks. She had to go to the bathroom so often, and it drove her crazy. She began to act almost psychotic. We discontinued the Aricept and started antibiotic treatment. The doctor put her on Microbid at first, but after the culture came back in, we switched to TMP-SMZ. It took one week for the infection to clear and 2 weeks before she returned to normalcy. She still complains the infection is with her, but I don't see any symptoms.

We tried Standard AZO when she was at her worst. It did help to calm her bladder some. It should only be used a couple of days. I am not going to recommend this drug for others, but only to mention that my mother used it with good results and no bad side effects. It does make the urine red and can stain if not used with care.

If I may scoot in here.... my 74 year old MIL is apparently significantly incontinent and uses urinary pads. Could those contribute to UTI's? She also has poorly controlled type II diabetes and has been acting stranger than usual. Apparently she is depending on the poise pads.

Just found this thread. So is orange juice BAD for UTI? That's what mom wants most. She also drinks Cranberry juice. But does OJ hurt?
I'm trying to get her over a bad one right now. Anyone know?

her Dr. Thought Hospice would be good for my mom to help me out. My mom is really no problem. When Hospicemcame to my house they told me that Hospice is not what people think it is. it's to help with comfort care. MY mom Really needs no comfort because she is very comfortable. I feed her constantly, she is bathed, cleaned and changed clothes. She is well taken care of. I watch her like a hawk 24/7. She is never alone. But this hospice still has the idea that they are there because she is dying. In a real sense we are all dying. Not every 92 yr old needs hospice. By them being here gives me the sense they are just waiting for her to die. Theyngive no encouragement to her, like telling her she is doing good, she looks good, they are there to keep her well. Nothing.... So the drs order to bring them in to "help" me was wrong. the nurse wants or is waiting for her to die. Like I said before all the vitals she takes are very low, yet the vitals I take are all NORMAL. I just don't want people around who look for death. She wanted to give my mom antibiotics because my mom was confused 1 day without taking a urine culture. I am in the medical profession since 1972. This hospice is aware of and cannot make decisions by themselves.

I'm confused. It sounds like you don't think she is sick, let alone dying, so I don't understand why you brought in hospice. And it sounds like you want hospice findings to be such that she would be disqualified for hospice. I probably am just missing a few details. What is it you want input about?