What do you do when your mother doesn’t want any more food to eat?

14

Answers

sometime my mom want to eat vegetarian food. she likes soups.... the consomme..tried with veggies in it, but dislikes it. As for the meat.

Near "the end" the doctor told us not to force food on Mom. Let her have what she wants. Well, that was her favorite cookies, watermelon, cheese curls, Jello made with powdered egg whites/fruit cocktail and Ensure milkshakes with ice cream & whatever fruit she had in mind; sometimes bannanas or strawberries and once in awhile chocolate sauce. Take your mother's lead & please her in her own ways when it comes to eating. It may not sound healthy but hopefully she'll be taking in some calories & be happy.
Good luck

Ruth: you are most welcome! Even just cooking up some onions and peppers (or any other aromatic foods) helped my mother's appetite.

Of course depending on their condition (Mom had Alzheimer's) there may/will (sadly) come a time when nothing really works anymore. When my mother reached that point I knew... well....

Anyway.... I still offer ideas and suggestions hoping to help just one more person. Thank you for making me feel useful.

God Bless.

I'm going to steal the "taste test" idea!!!! Thank you, MiaMadre. That's great! :-)

I have a few more ideas.
Watch the cooking channel.

If you have a bread machine, make some fresh bread.

Cook some soup in a crock pot, or on the stovetop.

Bake some apples (or apple pie).

Brew flavored coffees.

Use pumpkin spiced air freshners in the house.

Get Mom involved in the cooking process. Even SIMPLE tasks will make her feel like she is 'part of the process' and may improve her appetite. I had my mother 'taste test' most of the food as I was cooking and she ate MORE doing that than her meals.

God bless and good luck.

I buy garbanzo beans dry, soak them, and cook them like any other bean. I use vegetable broth for flavor, and some Turmeric for the health benefits. They're near other dried beans in your local grocery store. They are also available canned, if you prefer. They're alternatively called Chick Peas. It is what is in must Hummus, and Falafel as well. Both of those foods are delicious and very healthy for someone in your Mom's (or anyone who needs healthy calories) situation.

It is Cong heart Failure..... all tests have been done....

Hi!
Where do you buy Garbanzo beans?
Many thanks... Astrid

Please talk to her doctor about any meds she is on for her condition. With a heart condition, it could be some of her meds that are interfering with her 'appetite'.

Could she have suffered a stroke that has affected her brain's appetite center? I know it sounds far fetched, but it can happen.

Also.. please have her checked for a simple UTI! (insist on a culture too). I sound like a broken record, but something as simple as a UTI can affect the elderly immensely. A urinalysis is easy to do, non-invasive. Be sure to have a CULTURE done (which can take a few days) to be sure that you don't get a false negative.

God Bless.

Some high-protein snacks I give those I'm coaching for health as ideas: Cooked Garbanzo beans, room temp, in a bowl to nibble like popcorn, because it is high in protein and fiber. Thinly sliced apple with a little organic almond butter. Raw almonds. Boiled egg. If you "must" resort to Ensure-type drinks, be sure to read the label.