Every week I fix my mother’s pills box and she still can’t manage to take her medication correctly, what else can I do to make it easier for her?

This is because she doesn't know what day it is and she lives alone with my help.

24

Answers

1 2 3
I have the advantage of living under the same roof. Mom with dementia has her own pill box with the days of the week, and only takes one med and a couple vitamins. However in spite of being together enough to look at the newspaper or calendar to confirm the day, she is still regularly confused. At one point she didn't take them and put the pill box near my fathers, saying they were HIS. Other times I had the "day" of the week compartment open for her to be reminded, and she would shut it, thinking that was not the day. Or say she already HAD taken them. So, I hid the pill box, just keeping it for ME to dispense from, and I put her pills into a small custard cup with a note that says "THESE ARE YOUR PILLS. TAKE THEM WITH BREAKFAST." She even wrote a note back at the bottom saying "Thanks, I did!." I know this probably won't last forever, but we'll see. Also, there was a period of time before we realized how bad things were it was so subtle...that she had gone THREE MONTHS without her BP medication. So if she forgets, or I would forget to set it out, I now don't get upset...the world isn't going to come to an end and no one has died. At least not yet:-)

Send,

It is almost 6 am here. I wake up several times at night and often come here. I'm going back to bed.

Are you up a little late there?

Or, a coincidence that I should also choose health and turn out that light?

CMagnum,

Yes, sometimes, as is repeated so often on here, our loved ones need more care than we can give.
I am sure you did your best, it was not a failure to get her more care, but it was what she needed.

I was just going to share this song lyric with someone else, so my kindle is locked and loaded to copy and paste. I think you also may need some encouragement. Sharing:

Tell Your Heart to Beat Again
Danny Gokey
Lyrics
You're shattered
Like you've never been before
The life you knew
In a thousand pieces on the floor
And words fall short in times like these
When this world drives you to your knees
You think you're never gonna get back
To the you that used to be
Tell your heart to beat again
Close your eyes and breathe it in
Let the shadows fall away
Step into the light of grace
Yesterday's a closing door
You don't live there anymore
Say goodbye to where you've been
And tell your heart to beat again
Beginning
Just let that word wash over you
It's alright now
Love's healing hands have pulled you through
So get back up, take step one
Leave the darkness, feel the sun
'Cause your story's far from over
And your journey's just begun
Tell your heart to beat again

Going to assisted living and then to a nursing home.

What helped your Mom after that, CMagnum?

I tried this with my mom, but it did not work.

Phone medication reminders to your mother.
Don't nag, but say, I will stay on the phone until you drink some water and take your meds.
She may, however, get tired of this and lie to you or not answer the phone.

Establishing a routine is important. I have little medicine cups with stickers on them that say Morn/Noon/Eve/Bed and I set them out where she will be when she is supposed to take them. For example. She takes two pills first thing early morning on an empty stomach so I leave those out in her bathroom by the sink so that when she gets up to brush her teeth she remembers to take them.

LostinIowa, you may want to cut and paste your post and place as a brand new posting. The thread you are on is 7 years old, and many readers if they see it is a very old thread will skip over it. Thus you might not get a lot of answers.

If your Mom's dementia is becoming worse it is time to think about bringing in home caregivers or moving Mom to Independent Living where they offer med-tech care. My Dad had that, and that worked great. We use to leave notes around his apartment in Independent Living to remind him to take his pills. Those notes worked for a few days and that was it. With med-tech option, all of Dad's pills were stored at the nurses office, and twice a day a tech would come around to give Dad his pills and made sure he took them. Well worth the cost of this service.

1 2 3