What drugs or supplements have been found to be helpful for controlling or modifying dementia?

I've read of the possible benefits of ALA (Alpha Lipoic acid) and Acetyl -L-Carnitine supplements taken together. In one case favorable results were evident within two weeks. People are so different that it's most unlikely that one approach will work for all, but anything that may help and not be detrimental may be worth trying.

21

Answers

1 2 3
good evening and Happy New Year, I wish this for each of you reading this. My Name is Eleanor, my husband has alzheimer's. We have known this for almost a year. He takes these two drug that were perscribed by his nurolgest. They are GALANTAMINE ER 16MG ONE IN THE MORNING, NAMENDA 10 mg one in the morning and one in the evening. He is very pleased that my husband is not declineing, but staying good for now. He goes every 6 months to see him and I take all the homework sheets my husband has worked on and also a report from me on how he is doing and any change in his way of doing things or behavior.

Imw- have you tried or asked a doc about the proceedure for fractures due to oseopories where they inject cement into the back I had it done and it took away the horrible pain after 2 weeks but left me with more disability in my activities of daily living but others who have had it done have done better and have a good quality of life since having it done and I can manage with rest periods added into my day and am very active.

As I have previously written, there are many programs to help with the cost of meds. Some are not based strictly on financial need. Needy Meds. com, and Rx Outreach come to mind right now. You can also go into the website of the manufacturer, Pfizer, etc, and you can find assistance programs for their meds. I have known cases where people were not taking their needed meds because they couldnt afford them and I have assisted them in getting meds through these programs. They work so if anyone here is having a problem with affording meds, please check out these sites.

It makes me sad when medications are too expensive for people that need them. We, as a society, need to treat our elderly much better.

Has any of your loved ones gotten restless leg syndrome from Aricept? My Dad does, but Numenda didn't..but too expensive for him. I imagine the Excelon patch is pricey too??

Yes it is. It's my understanding that it's works very well taken in combination with Aricept. You can learn more at the following site:

http://www.namenda.com/sections/30/namenda-difference.shtml

What type of drug is Namenda? Is it for alzheimers/dementia?

My mom has been on Aricept and Namenda for quite some time. She shows no negative side effects and I truly believe it has slowed the progression of her Alzheimer's.

To lhardebeck, Have you check with the different drug programs to see if there is help with the cost of Namenda for your father. Some of these programs are not based on income. On of the them called RX Outreach. You can get some meds on their list for as little as $20 for a 30 day supply or $45-$60 fpr a 180 day supply. Also if you will check with the manufacturer of Namenda on their website, they sometimes have programs to help pay for their drugs. Hope this helps.

Dirk:

"Believe nothing,
no matter where you read it
or who has said it,
not even if I have said it,
unless it agrees with
your own reason and
your own common sense." -- Buddha

Before implementing anything, make sure you're able to live with the decisions made. Enjoy the rest of the Holidays.

-- ED

1 2 3