Does Medicare cover the expense of someone coming once a day to my father's house to make sure he gets his medication and eats while I'm at work?

Kathi: to my knowledge, they do not. However, in my state we have visiting nurses that can visit. Here, it is once a week.
Has he had a recent hospital stay? If so he can have someone come in everyday for apx. 3 wks, I think.
You could pay a caregiver to come by. In my area it is $19./hr. 2hr. min. We use a reputable company who hires their caregivers from the area. They also do personal care and light housekeeping. They canot dispense medicines, but can remind the patient. They are great.
good luck
We use Elder Choice. A program set up to help keep seniors in their home instead of a nursing home. They send help in 7 days a week. They care for him, cook his breakfast or lunch, do housework, and give me time off. I am free to go shopping, out to lunch, etc. without worry. It has been a blessing to me and keeps me sane. The cost is covered by medicare and medicade. We also have a visiting nurse weekly, and therapy as needed, both physical and occupational. The occupational helps teach him how to do things differently so as to make it easier on him.