My mother (84) was just diagnosed with a leaking heart valve.What is her life expectancy?

She refuses any surgery.

14

Answers

Work with the cardiologist on this one and depends on the leakage and medication mansgement. I have worked in cardiac and heart surgery units for almost 40 years. Life expectancy can still last for decades. There are so many variables that cannot be addressed in this forum. There are surgical options but only on an individual basis.

I'm very sorry to read of your mother's sad experience, Carmel. So, her doctors gave her the information about the surgery and she still wanted to go ahead, is that what happened? Perhaps your mother felt that any chance was better than none? But I'm still sorry that you don't feel she was well-advised, and I'm sorry for your loss.

My mother was on medication for many years. For the first ten or so it kept her well and active; but as time went on the side effects on her hearing, her voice, her terrible cough, her general sense of wellbeing were not good. A valve replacement wouldn't have helped her because the leak was caused by the valve being slowly pulled apart by her diseased heart muscle. The sad fact is that sometimes there just aren't any good answers.

Please really think about the Heart Valve replacement for your mom. My mom was so weak and they still did they surgery she died three days later. It hurts to know she suffered so must pain that I wish I could tell others to do medication as much as you can especially my mom was weak and almost 80 yrs old. I feel the doctors are not fully honest by the percentages and suffering they have to endure like my mom did.

My mother was diagnosed with leaky heart valve 20 yrs ago. Recent hospitalization due to another illness revealed 3 leaky valves. Her new doctor says there is no indication of any leaky valves. Is this possible?

nanajan1, do you have health insurance? I really hate to read about people not being able to afford health care measures.

I am a 45 yr. old F, I have been diagnosed with a 52% blockage in my left carrodid artery. and I also have a significant leak in my aortic valve. I'd like to know if someone could describe what chest pains to be worried about? I experience on and off dull aches in chest mostly from center to left side of chest, occasionally sharp stabbing in same location.

I also have a leaking heart valve and blood pressure meds have helped with the symptoms which were shortness of breath and on/off heart fluttering. Never had any pain associated with it, guess it depends on stage of the valve. For me, it is a watch and see, with echo testing every two years.

I am 63 and have been diagnosed with four leaking heart valves. My physician has suggested I use a cpap machine for my breathing issues while sleeping. Because of the money issue, we are unable to proceed. Are my days numbered? I do frequently feel a disturbance in my chest.

My mum was in heart failure for years before deciding at 87 to have a triple. bypass and valve replacement. The doctors told me it would give her an extra 2 to 3 yearsof life. 10 years later she is still with us. Never give up hope.

I agree with the first poster in that talking with her doctor about risks and effects is the best option. If the doctor does, in fact, decide that there is a likelihood the surgery could be a success, bring these positives up to her and see how she reacts. Otherwise, resisting her wishes will only result in frustration for both of you. Best of luck to you.

Missy22011, this pain may be associated with the leaking valve. My mother had similar stomach ailments that ended up being related to her heart disease, although she did not have a leaking valve. It would be a good idea to bring this up with her cardiologist to see where the issue truly lies. Best of luck to you as well.