I am caring for my wife who has Alzhiemer's/LBD. I am in & out of depression and feeling isolated. Our neighbors, friends, relatives avoid us. How can I cope?

15

Answers

Yes. NH. Did not serve during war time

Are you a veteran? Veteran's have benefits also for AL's. What state are you in if I can ask?

I would If I could afford it. No LT Ins.
Thanks

Look for an assited living that can take one or both of you. The caregivers will take care of your wife and will take care of you also until you get back to normal and you will be able to associate with others in your same situation. Good luck and bless you for all that you do each day!

No, I still need you all & am greatfull for all the responses, they
make me feel I am not alone anymore. I have a hard time getting
into the computor & been busy w/ doctors & hospital tests. May
have vascular surgery soon because of recent strokes. Seeing my PC Doctor tomorow to address my depression & possible
REM Sleep Disorder. Have plenty of Medicaid care for my wife
& respit for me(see my Bio.). Its me that needs & my biggest
fear is something might happen to me & will not be there to take care of my wife. Thanks for you all for being out there
It makes feel so good.
Ed Bracken

Thought I was all alone there. I care for my husband stage late 6 early 7 Alzheimers. I really believe sometime people even family think this is a contagious disease. I really miss adult conversation. hard to get anyone to stay even for a minute. Cant take him out much never know what will happen. I cry a lot and pray a lot but please keep in touch. I really know what you are going through.
God Bless us all

bracken has never reply back . so i guess he is no longer needin us ?

Are your friends really friends? I would suggest that you join an Alzhimer support group perhaps you already do. If so it might be possible to visit or go to lunch or dinner together. Also, let your neighbors and friends know that you feel they are avoiding you and your spouse. Maybe, they think they are doing you a favor when actually they are hurting your feelings.

bracken....Bless you. The job you are doing is a lonely one and it is so true that friends and family scatter when you need them the most. I care for both of my parents in my home and I sometimes feel very depressed. I talked to my doctor about this and I now take medication. Also, come back here often. My parents have been with me for 2 years and in the beginning I would not have survived without the loving caring people on this site. I would be locked up somewhere and my parents would be in an NH. Try to find someone to give you a break if only for an hour. My "therapy" is going swimming with my grandchildren for an hour twice a week while hubby stays with Mom and Dad. If there is an occasion that we both need to be away we have found a college student that comes by and sits with them. Michelle is a wonderful caring young lady that we were lucky enough to find and is not as costly as hiring someone from an agency. If you do decide to go this route be sure and get to know the person very well. We have met Michelle's parents and she has even cared for my grandchildren on occasion. She is studying to be a special education teacher and I know that she will be a wonderful one.

Above all......get some "me" time. You cannot do this job without a little time for you. I was amazed at how great I felt the first time I left my parents with my husband and just walked around Goodwill for an hour. I wish you all the best and thank you for caring for your wife.

Hi. Lewy Body Dementia has a great site with great support too that I found very helpful www.lbda.org also my dad has lbd type dementia.

All his symptoms get really bad with any type of cold, allergy, sleep medications. So he no longer gets any of that stuff.

His symptoms are he gets confused, unable to think, has hallucinations, etc... then will have a great week and you'd think he was cured! It is a roller coaster.

He has just gone through 10 weeks of STRONG antibiotics IV and pill form to cure a bone infection. THAT cleared up so many of the problems he has had for the past 3 years! OMG.
He no longer suffers from a chronic runny nose, he is completely clear headed and normal mentally, and many of his terrible aches and pains in his legs and back are gone...

Now with Lewy Body (if he has it) this could just be one of those weird "good times" and he could revert back but for now we are having some good days.
At least I think the runny nose if gone for good.